cheap action camera recommendations please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From my own experience of checking out a cheapy camera I found the software to be the problem. While suitable for a phone in theory, in practice it was unusable. On a laptop it was better but far from user friendly. To the point that trying to edit a video was a PITA.
The format of video that the camera recorded was not compatible with most video editing software available and to convert it was a very, very slow process and resulted in failure on a regular basis.

If looking to buy the camera my suggestion would be to get reviews on the software and pay attention to the video format.

From my own experience of checking out a cheapy camera I found the software to be the problem. While suitable for a phone in theory, in practice it was unusable. On a laptop it was better but far from user friendly. To the point that trying to edit a video was a PITA.
The format of video that the camera recorded was not compatible with most video editing software available and to convert it was a very, very slow process and resulted in failure on a regular basis.

If looking to buy the camera my suggestion would be to get reviews on the software and pay attention to the video format.

Depends what you want it for.
My £30 camera records in 3 minute slots - you can change that yourself. I just use it to report bad driving so it's a very easy job to select the right segment and send it off.

If you're making a cycling film then I think you need to spend more.

alex_cycles

Veteran
My favourite small cheap camera is the SJCAM C100+ (I got one on AliExpress for about £50).
I've tried a LOT of cameras including one very similar to the Chilli bullet cam.

The verdict is if you want quality footage, buy a GoPro
SJCam C100+ has footage good enough for number plate resolution, but the colours are off.
I found the bullet cams footage to be not very good (even the footage on their site isn't very good - the SJCAM is better value and quality).

I mostly use GoPros with an external battery for >2hr rides. If you're only wanting evidence, the SJCAM is fine.

cm2mackem

Über Member
I have the Action Mini Camera DV F9 bullet style camera from Ali Express, £20 I think, same as the first gen bullet cams from Chilli Tech, used it for a year, good enough for the police to use in 2 prosecutions, charge lasts about 4-5 hours, records 720/1080 in 3 minute slots, use a Garmin/camera out front mount from chill tech to alleviate bar clutter

alex_cycles

Veteran
I have the Action Mini Camera DV F9 bullet style camera from Ali Express, £20 I think, same as the first gen bullet cams from Chilli Tech, used it for a year, good enough for the police to use in 2 prosecutions, charge lasts about 4-5 hours, records 720/1080 in 3 minute slots, use a Garmin/camera out front mount from chill tech to alleviate bar clutter

I have one of those from Ali ~£20 too. I didn't like the video quality/resolution and mine filmed for about 3 hours on one charge.

cm2mackem

Über Member
I have one of those from Ali ~£20 too. I didn't like the video quality/resolution and mine filmed for about 3 hours on one charge.

Im not making movies so it doesn't matter and the local police seemed happy with the footage, I do expect the runtime to fall off a cliff once its older, I've used it about twice a week for a year and the battery has lasted well, the new chilli tech one has the replaceable battery, Ali express will follow soon, but the stem out front mount they do does help keep it steady.

Alex321

Veteran
I have the most basic GoPro Hero, and it does a good job. The issue with that is that the battery only lasts about an hour, though my SD card also only holds about an hour's worth of footage.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have AKASO EK7000. To be exact, I have two, one mounted under seat looking back, and, one on handlebars looking forward. Had them for about two years, so, far, no problems and no complains. They each came with two batteries (1050ma). Each battery gave about 1:30-2:00 recording time. I bought replacement (higher power, 1400ma) batteries off eBay, they give about 2:00-2:30. I have submitted footage to Police, they accepted it and acted upon it. The recording format is .MP4 (a commonly used format), recording is in 15 minute "chunks".

You can see actual un-edited footage at link, below, if that helps, this is at the lower 1080p resolution, 30fps, the camera will do 4K, 25fps.

View: https://youtu.be/VmTPiAAcTq8

Last edited:
I think £50 is a good budget for a action camera with decent performance and mediocre image stabilisation. You can find cameras on amazon warehouse with a chunk of money off however the issue is 3 hours recording. I think some will happily work with a power bank for extended run time but others won't. Most action cameras will take cards of 32GB or more so no issues recording 3 hours or more with regard storage space. Normally action cameras charge very slowly if also being used at the same time so probably after 40 minutes of recording you plug in the powerbank you will get your 3 hours plus runtime. Powerbanks can be tiny, even those little one's poundland used to sell for a £1 will probably give you 3 or 4 times normal runtime. I think they used to contain a single 18650 cell of something like 2200mAh but action camera batteries while stating 900-1050mAh are typically more like 700mAh.

I think Aldi did a action camera that looked like a gopro, had menu's like a gopro but was based on a pretty cheap, weak chipset, Allwinner etc. Not a great option in my opinion.

This one looks good for the money if you don't mind awful audio quality. Lots of cheap action cameras have rubbish microphones. It might take an external microphone or maybe you can record audio separately and edit in later. Anyway looks like it has decent video quality and reasonable stabilisation. Always worth keeping an eye on amazon warehouse for action cameras as there can be big deductions.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Stabilization-Underwater-Batteries-Accessories/dp/B09CD5T7X5/ref=sr_1_8?crid=73U5F6E66831&keywords=action+camera&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1654687808&s=warehouse-deals&sprefix=action+camera%2Cwarehouse-deals%2C113&sr=8-8

Action cameras vary enormously in value. One chinese company will offer you a junk action camera for £60 and another something pretty decent for the same money. It's all about trying to find out which sensor and chipset is used as the basis of the value comparison. You can get action cameras with decent sony sensors and ambarella and hisilicon chipsets under £60.

Mike_P

Guru
Important is to check the availability of spare batteries, at full 4k resolution mine runs through batteries at just beyond an hour which nicely times with stopping for a snack. I screenshot any stills I want then trim and merge the 8 minute long clips excluding waits at junctions etc as compressed mp4s broken up at the waits. I use Wondershare UniConverter which having tried a dodgy cheap version off eBay I upgraded to the latest far quicker on a Black Friday offer of £54.79 along with £13.96 TopCashBack which has since been confirmed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

I have AKASO EK7000. To be exact, I have two, one mounted under seat looking back, and, one on handlebars looking forward. Had them for about two years, so, far, no problems and no complains. They each came with two batteries (1050ma). Each battery gave about 1:30-2:00 recording time. I bought replacement (higher power, 1400ma) batteries off eBay, they give about 2:00-2:30. I have submitted footage to Police, they accepted it and acted upon it. The recording format is .MP4 (a commonly used format), recording is in 15 minute "chunks".

You can see actual un-edited footage at link, below, if that helps, this is at the lower 1080p resolution, 30fps, the camera will do 4K, 25fps.

View: https://youtu.be/VmTPiAAcTq8

Sounds promising 👌😊 Thank you.

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

I think £50 is a good budget for a action camera with decent performance and mediocre image stabilisation. You can find cameras on amazon warehouse with a chunk of money off however the issue is 3 hours recording. I think some will happily work with a power bank for extended run time but others won't. Most action cameras will take cards of 32GB or more so no issues recording 3 hours or more with regard storage space. Normally action cameras charge very slowly if also being used at the same time so probably after 40 minutes of recording you plug in the powerbank you will get your 3 hours plus runtime. Powerbanks can be tiny, even those little one's poundland used to sell for a £1 will probably give you 3 or 4 times normal runtime. I think they used to contain a single 18650 cell of something like 2200mAh but action camera batteries while stating 900-1050mAh are typically more like 700mAh.

I think Aldi did a action camera that looked like a gopro, had menu's like a gopro but was based on a pretty cheap, weak chipset, Allwinner etc. Not a great option in my opinion.

This one looks good for the money if you don't mind awful audio quality. Lots of cheap action cameras have rubbish microphones. It might take an external microphone or maybe you can record audio separately and edit in later. Anyway looks like it has decent video quality and reasonable stabilisation. Always worth keeping an eye on amazon warehouse for action cameras as there can be big deductions.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Stabilization-Underwater-Batteries-Accessories/dp/B09CD5T7X5/ref=sr_1_8?crid=73U5F6E66831&keywords=action+camera&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1654687808&s=warehouse-deals&sprefix=action+camera%2Cwarehouse-deals%2C113&sr=8-8

Action cameras vary enormously in value. One chinese company will offer you a junk action camera for £60 and another something pretty decent for the same money. It's all about trying to find out which sensor and chipset is used as the basis of the value comparison. You can get action cameras with decent sony sensors and ambarella and hisilicon chipsets under £60.

Thank you 😊 I will check it out. I'm learning a lot on here 👍

Top Bottom