Cheap android phone for work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking at reviews on cheap android phones and I'm no further in getting a decision. Perhaps someone on here can help!

I need an android phone less than £200, preferably a lot less so I get my money back from work. I use it mostly for the camera on the shopfloor of a factory, quality engineer and I need to record things with it. It can often be in poor light or shadows or other issues to overcome with the camera functions. It needs a loud ring tone or strong vibration. Loud factory and I need to hear it ring or beep for notifications. It's to replace an iPhone 5s that gets hot enough to fry eggs on after just 10 minutes phonecall! Other uses texts, calculator. I do set up emails but don't use it. If I'm in work I'll use computer if not I don't want to see emails or work stuff.

One thing it must be pocketable.

I've considered redmi, poco, realmi, etc. Even moto g9 or g10 power. However a lot of these seem big phones so too bulky in my pocket. I need to carry it but still be able to move around, crouch, etc with it in my pocket.

Anyone recommend something? I'm too prone to the "for £20 more I get x, then £30 more I get y..." before I know it I'm looking at a £600+ phone! I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Landsurfer

Veteran

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends what your prioroties are.

Mrs D is an Apple fangal but for work she always goes for the Power versions of Motorola smartphones as the battery genuinely lasts 3 to 5 days. The impression I get is that the rest of the features aren't top flight, but are still perfectly respectable and a good compromise in exchange for the battery life.

Then every year she upgrades and I sell the old handset someone on here 👍

BTW, it's obligatory that I mention at this point that I don't have a mobile phone other than the one built into my car.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Alcatel are uber cheap smart phones. The one I had as an emergency phone a few years ago was pretty basic but did what it needed to, the newer ones according to my brother are perfectly functional.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've just bought a Poco X3 Pro which I'm very happy with. You should be able to pick one up for around £200. Large battery last all day. Camera isn't the very best but if you want that s pixel is the best choice but it's okay for most situations. Also comes with pre installed screen protector and case.

POCO X3 Pro - Smartphone 6+128GB, 6,67” 120Hz FHD+ DotDisplay, Snapdragon 860, 48MP Quad Camera, 5160mAh, Metal Bronze (UK Version + 2 Years Warranty)

View: https://youtu.be/Yl99xTDrr2cIf If it's too big you could consider a Pixel 3 which have gone down in price or Apple SE. There's the Samsung A52 but that run you to £300.
If you want something really small check the Moto RAZR which folds. Problem with most small phones is the rubbish battery life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Screen sizes gave crept up over the years. 6.5" seems the standard size for good sub£200 phones. My personal phone is 6.7" and a little too big I think. It digs in when in my pocket a bit when I crouch or sit down.

I'm put off moto g series because they went downhill a few years back and are really only just coming back. My partner has a 4 or 5 year old moto g? phone. It had an unreliable camera that you couldn't rely on for good images. Since I need a decent camera I'm not sure moto g series suits.

The old candy brick phones are most certainly out! I need a proper screen and not a physical keypad. I never liked them and got my first touchscreen phone over a decade ago 4 years before the Samsung galaxy s2 came n out. An LG one. Never looked back even for one throwaway Samsung 3310 clone bought for emergency use for Highland mountain hideaway backpacking trips. They never have good camera ime and texting is painful with the ultimate key tap for some letters. That's truly archaic in phone terms.

I looked at poco one costing £179 from poco direct. The realme 8 and xiaomi redmi 10 both look good at 6.5" screens costing £160 & £170 respectively.

tyred

Legendary Member
Very happy with my Alcatel 1s - used for photos, GPS and Web browsing.

I understand it can make phone calls too but nobody ever phones me.

Drago

Legendary Member
I understand it can make phone calls too but nobody ever phones me.
Thats why i didn't replace mine when it died. Web surfing, nav, camera, all these things can be done better with other devices anyway, so why was i carrying a phone just to talk to people when thats something I never did anyway?

Sorry for the off topicness, sort of.

tyred

Legendary Member
Thats why i didn't replace mine when it died. Web surfing, nav, camera, all these things can be done better with other devices anyway, so why was i carrying a phone just to talk to people when thats something I never did anyway?

Sorry for the off topicness, sort of.
I don't need professional standard camera or GPS gear, a smart phone does a decent enough job for myself and most of the population and costs relatively little and takes up no more space in my pocket than a packet of fags.

Or I could spend thousands on something I don't really need and have inconvenience of having to carry it around and take care of.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
200 nicker is not what I'd call cheap! I'd look at the Motorola Moto 5g or the slightly cheaper ones. They have a fantastic camera, 5000mah battery and works just as well as my old Samsung Galaxy S7 which was nearly 4 times the price

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Agreed, the Pixel 3XL I had took great pics, the cheapest current pixel is the 4a but it gazumps the OP's budget by £100.
I am thinking of treating myself to a used Pixel in the spring, once my pension has turned up. My current phone is an HTC One M8 which was a stunning bargain when I paid £80 for it on eBay a few years ago but it is starting to struggle a bit on complex websites and apps. Also, the camera is very hit and miss - I have taken some really nice pictures with it, but others have been unusable.

I was just looking at the completed sales for the Pixel 4a on eBay. Lots for around £120, but they had cracked screens. A few in better condition went for £145-ish so it seems likely that, with patience, a really decent one could be found for well under £200.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Looking at reviews on cheap android phones and I'm no further in getting a decision. Perhaps someone on here can help!

I need an android phone less than £200, preferably a lot less so I get my money back from work. I use it mostly for the camera on the shopfloor of a factory, quality engineer and I need to record things with it. It can often be in poor light or shadows or other issues to overcome with the camera functions. It needs a loud ring tone or strong vibration. Loud factory and I need to hear it ring or beep for notifications. It's to replace an iPhone 5s that gets hot enough to fry eggs on after just 10 minutes phonecall! Other uses texts, calculator. I do set up emails but don't use it. If I'm in work I'll use computer if not I don't want to see emails or work stuff.

One thing it must be pocketable.

I've considered redmi, poco, realmi, etc. Even moto g9 or g10 power. However a lot of these seem big phones so too bulky in my pocket. I need to carry it but still be able to move around, crouch, etc with it in my pocket.

Anyone recommend something? I'm too prone to the "for £20 more I get x, then £30 more I get y..." before I know it I'm looking at a £600+ phone! I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

The Galaxy A22 5G just slightly over budget at £209, online, direct from Samsung. Sure it would do the job, but, in common with most phones now, it may be too big?

If storage is important, it will allow you to insert a micro SD Card.

Top Bottom