1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap bike lights??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dantheman, 1 May 2008.

1. dantheman

dantheman New Member

I am looking for some bike lights that are very cheap!- but still pretty bright. I have been looking at some LED type ones on Ebay, and was wondering if anyone had tried similar ones that could recommend/discourage me in buying. These are them:-

Item number: 120255371556 rtCurve.gif (21 LED)

Item number: 350054821292 rtCurve.gif (53 LED)

or maybe:-

Item number: 350055139949 rtCurve.gif 9 LED , Aluminium. (could possibly fit 2)

with this at back:-

Item number: 170215202055

or, have you any other (cheap) recommendations??

Attached Files:

2. xroads

xroads New Member

Wilko £6 for front and rear pair with batts.

3. OP
    OP
    dantheman

dantheman New Member

i already use the wilko ones (3 LED's in each), the back is okay i think, but find i need like 3 sets at front just to see like 2-3 metres..

4. walker

walker New Member

what are those item numbers? where can they be found? do you have links?

best bet is to pop along to your LBS and get some there, its no point scrimping at some lights, as they can actually save your life. £30 is a reasonable price for some cheaper lights

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

A lot of people on here recommend the Smart 1/2 watt rear lights for a tenner or so.

these in fact

6. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

Seconded

And for the front I've used and like Electron Nano (£12-18) with which I can see pot holes on an unlit road when not cycling fast. If you really want to see along way ahead then it does get alot more expensive.

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Thirded for the Smart. I don't ride at night, but it is on my winter bike as a wet weather light. It is almost as bright as a car brake light.

8. OP
    OP
    dantheman

dantheman New Member

sorry about no links..

thanks for recommending the smart- looks like what i was thinking of, only a bit better. Have been looking for a front light to match this, and have found this:-

http://activesportskit.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=398

anyone know if its any good?- was looking up to about 30 pound for both, and would be able to get these for about that.
    thanks.

9. simonali

simonali Über Member

I have a Smart with a white body you can have for £6 inc P&P if you want it?

Looks like this

10. OP
    OP
    dantheman

dantheman New Member

would be very interested. As long as its in good condition, with the mounts etc (and im sure it is). how would you want payment?? (paypal at all?)

11. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

One key question: do you need your lights to *see*, or just to be seen? And one other thing to note: the weak point of cheap lights is the bracket/fixing. Just about any of them work *as lights* just fine; cheap ones, tho', may have to be reinforced (araldite) to physically stay attached.

12. OP
    OP
    dantheman

dantheman New Member

13. Big T

Big T Über Member

The Smart Lead-Acid rechargeable can be had for under £30 and is plenty bright enough to see on unlit country roads. It's a bit on the heavy side but it'll do the job.

14. simonali

simonali Über Member

Yeah, it's new. I had a Smart one, bought the Planetbike one coz the flash is better and built one out of the 2. This one is just the (unused) bits that are left over!

As for payment, I'd rather a cheque, as I don't use Paypal that often and would incur fees for a small amount like that.

15. RedBike

RedBike New Member

I certainly wouldn't want to use any of them on unlit roads. I would be looking for AT LEAST a 1watt led / 5w hallogen light.

Drivers never expect to come across cyclists on unlit roads so don't skimp on the rear light. I would recommend something like the Cateye LD-1100 /TL-LD600 or the smart megabright 1/2 watt.

Attached Files: