Cheap brake pads could shorten the life of your wheels...don't do it!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm familiar with shiny aluminium from the rims being attached to the surface of the brake pads. What I found was dull, grey particles embedded deep within the material - it looks like zinc or similar.
Show us a cut-through of said pad.

I really doubt that anyone would put pieces of zinc in their rubber. Why would they? Besides, it is easy to test zinc. Drop a bit of acid on it and it will fizz.

airbrake

Show us a cut-through of said pad.

I really doubt that anyone would put pieces of zinc in their rubber. Why would they? Besides, it is easy to test zinc. Drop a bit of acid on it and it will fizz.

I normally take plenty of pictures of components - especially when something interesting is going on, and when I saw these pieces I should have reached for the camera and took some macros. Instead, I just dug out the pieces I could see, but I'm sure there's going to be more. My idea was to put these pads on a shopper / rat bike and check what happens as they wear down. The curious thing is that where this material has been rubbing against the rim surface it is not shiny - it is the same dull grey as the pieces beneath the surface. Will try a vinegar test when they re-appear and report back with pictures.

Top Bottom