Cheap Brompton front bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser

So, a bag update:

tempImageij9lWy.png

Sorry, the stupid computer won't load the image the correct way round but... I am really impressed with the quality. It is made of a thick material and it is insulated. The webbing on the front is well stitched and the it clips to the bike securely.

The shoulder strap is cheap but for me that doesn't really matter, I won't be using it. You get a shower cap too - I think it is to go over the bag, not for the shower. Looking at the bag though I am not sure you would need it in anything other than a massive downpour.

So I think it was £23... I'd say it's a bargain. On first use I think it will last ME the year, for the 6-10 times I will use it. It probably will last me longer... but even if it falls apart after that year I won't be bothered at all.

Thank you for the link again @Kell, it was a great spot.

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
do you my really need a bag that mounts to the bike, at all? Honestly?

if it’s only going to get used 5 times a year as you say, just use a backpack - which many people including yourself probably already own

I get a sweaty back! But on some rides I will also have a rucksack on (containing dirty items) and I wanted something small and separate for my phone etc.

The eBay item that was linked is perfect for my use.

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
So even if a bag would cost GBP250 and only last for a year this would be just a quid per day of use. And as you can (and probably will) use a Brompton bag for 10, 15 or 20 years and a decent genuine one will cost you about 150 quid and after that period you can easily sell it for at least GBP40 this would mean:

(GBP150 - GBP40) / (5days * 48 weeks * 15 years)=GBP0,03 per day of use. That's what a genuine bag will cost you.

I don't consider that excessive but rather cheap and can even less understand, why you want a cheap bag. Chances are high that a cheap bag won't stand that long and has to be replaced early, so over time will cost more than a decent one.
Once more the advice is: If you are low on money you cannot afford to buy cheap.

I see your thinking but if one only has £30-40 to spend on a bag they aren't going to buy one for £150-250 unless they have a magic money tree growing in the back garden.

I had two purple £20 notes for it, that was my total budget. I wouldn't have asked the question if my budget was £150.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I see your thinking but if one only has £30-40 to spend on a bag
Totally agree. The statement was rather a hint a @Time Waster, who piggybacked on your thread, than towards you - you said you'll use the bag like five times a year whereas he wants to use it on a daily basis for the years to come.
I had two purple £20 notes for it, that was my total budget. I wouldn't have asked the question if my budget was £150.
For very occasional use (as in your case) it is probably totally feasable to go for a cheap bag. His use case is totally different (and he wanted a way bigger bag, too). For intensive use, if you are short on money, it is the question if it is a good bet to buy something of unknown quality and probably no resale value (so risking a total loss) or maybe a better bet to alternatively buy a used genuine bag for the same amount of money where you know what you'll get for the price (and can resell ist for more or less what you paid if it doesn't suit your needs or your needs change).

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
So, a bag update:

View attachment 681808

Sorry, the stupid computer won't load the image the correct way round but... I am really impressed with the quality. It is made of a thick material and it is insulated. The webbing on the front is well stitched and the it clips to the bike securely.

The shoulder strap is cheap but for me that doesn't really matter, I won't be using it. You get a shower cap too - I think it is to go over the bag, not for the shower. Looking at the bag though I am not sure you would need it in anything other than a massive downpour.

So I think it was £23... I'd say it's a bargain. On first use I think it will last ME the year, for the 6-10 times I will use it. It probably will last me longer... but even if it falls apart after that year I won't be bothered at all.

Thank you for the link again @Kell, it was a great spot.

That looks like a great deal. Why won't they ship to the states, dammit! I wish I'd known about this last year when I was riding LeJog. I could have picked a couple up.

I see your thinking but if one only has £30-40 to spend on a bag they aren't going to buy one for £150-250 unless they have a magic money tree growing in the back garden.

Totally agree with your first statement. I don't have £150 to benefit from the long use savings. I'm likely to need to replace my alpkit Gourdon rucksack due to holes appearing in the fabric. Duct tape is working for now but I know I will need to replace. I'm trying to put that off and it's only £39 I think. If I can I might replace with a bag to go on the bike but if nothing cheap enough I'll get a Gourdon replacement as at least I know they last well and are waterproof too.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Totally agree with your first statement. I don't have £150 to benefit from the long use savings.

Totally understand when money is an issue. Still:

Mine gets used 5 days a week 48 weeks a year or not far off it. My expensive waterproof jacket is looking decidedly worn at my lower back area after using my rucksack for these two years. So probably a good idea for me even if not needed for the op.

I'm likely to need to replace my alpkit Gourdon rucksack due to holes appearing in the fabric. Duct tape is working for now but I know I will need to replace. I'm trying to put that off and it's only £39 I think. If I can I might replace with a bag to go on the bike but if nothing cheap enough I'll get a Gourdon replacement as at least I know they last well and are waterproof too.

Replacing a worn out rucksack for £39 every two years plus replacing an expensive waterproof jacket, that has worn out due to the use of a ruckack, every couple of years sounds more expensive than buying a used genuine Brompton bag once for let's say £60, or a new Brompton Basket to take the rucksack for £80 or even a new waterproof Carradice bag for the carrier block for about £120 incl. the frame (or i.e. a also waterproof Upso Ferrybridge by a daugther company of Carradice, if you like the style better).

Spending not so much more now saves a lot not only longterm but already after short time (plus you avoid the sweating back). Just saying.

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
Totally understand when money is an issue. Still:

Replacing a worn out rucksack for £39 every two years plus replacing an expensive waterproof jacket, that has worn out due to the use of a ruckack, every couple of years sounds more expensive than buying a used genuine Brompton bag once for let's say £60, or a new Brompton Basket to take the rucksack for £80 or even a new waterproof Carradice bag for the carrier block for about £120 incl. the frame (or i.e. a also waterproof Upso Ferrybridge by a daugther company of Carradice, if you like the style better).

Spending not so much more now saves a lot not only longterm but already after short time (plus you avoid the sweating back). Just saying.

We all grasp the false economy argument but if you only have £40 to spend you can't spend £80 to avoid spending £40 in 2 years! :whistle:

u_i

Über Member
Another case of "Captain Vime's boots"

A while ago there was a tangentially related discussion on another forum about buying bicycles at garage/yard sales in the US. For those unfamiliar with the concept, it is a sale of goods that became redundant for the owner, in a close proximity to the street, so that potential buyers can come and browse. One of the posters seemed to be one who went in the search of the second-hand bicycles regularly, apparently making it a business. He said that he went to the sales exclusively in the middle-income neighborhoods. Avoiding low-income was because people there had hardly anything to offer of a resale value. However, he also avoided high-income neighborhoods, because, he said, rich people are rich for a reason and they normally know the value of what they offer. Looking for a bargain there was a waste of time. Those in the middle had sometimes something of value, without recognizing this and could offer it for cheap.

brommieinkorea

I get not wanting to sink much into something that won't get a lot of use. But, it hits me as really strange that a normally functioning adult would be unable to afford $100 or so(let alone 40) to save money and/or frustration in the long run. Clearly I'm missing something. Is this similar to when some rich Yuppie Flys to Cambodia for a bike tour and then haggles with the hotel owner over a $5 room ?

u_i

Über Member
But, it hits me as really strange that a normally functioning adult would be unable to afford $100 or so(let alone 40) to save money and/or frustration in the long run. Clearly I'm missing something.
I think one should avoid overextended generalizations. The circumstances for different people can be very different. It is the issue how much money you have left after you take care of what you must pay for. It can be that you have very little flexibility left and, when you buy the more expensive bag, your other expenditures can be delayed by months. Many people buy items that are cheap, not because they are stingy, but because that is about their only option. Here, I absolutely speak from my past long-term personal experience.

Top Bottom