Cheap Brompton front bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
I have two brompton bags.
one fits on the handlebars with magnetic clips,its rubbish keeps coming off.
The other larger bag clips on the front holder,it's got a duff fitting that holds one of the straps.it came adrift three months in.
Don't be fooled into thinking brompton bags are quality, coz my two are not.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Don't be fooled into thinking brompton bags are quality, coz my two are not.
Strange - I do have a bunch of Brompton bags with the oldest one being more than 20 years old and the majority more than ten. Not a single problem... That's what most users seem to experience. So possibly you are the exception from the rule...

u_i

Über Member
For that price if it falls apart after 10 uses I'll be happy - that's 2 years for me!

In one of my inexpensive bags from China, the cloth started to spread apart the first time I put a load in. At a given moment I had no choice and used an office stapler to make the cloth hold together temporarily. That bag had a Dahon name printed on it, but I assume it was fake. Another bag I got had seams that were so stiff and sharp that you could cut your hand with them. The cloth stretched between those seams seemed like a paper. That bag was meant for carrying a lock, but I was not willing to entrust a lock to it, so it got no use. Like around crime docudramas, time and time again the reality can beat imagination around the cheap bike products. I'll grab popcorn in the anticipation how this develops further 🥤📽️

berlinonaut

Veteran
What's the cheapest Brompton bag about 20 litres for front block?

A big plastic bag that you tie to the block via cable ties. Has no use at all but you can't go cheaper.
If you want a genuine Brompton bag the cheapest one is to buy used older style office bag, that has been produced from the 90ies until about 2008:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195641490626

Relatively often available.

If you want a new bag arguably Carradice is the way to got (has been linked further up in this thread).

If the bag has not necessarily to be a bag the folding basket is the cheapest original solution new.

As you did not outline what you have in mind I have to quote myself from furtherup this thread:

I'd rather look for the intended purpose first than asking for cheap as the first priority. What does a cheap solution help if it is not fit for purpose?
Also you could ask yourself: If you consider a genuine Brompton bag expensive and another bag cheap - what distinguishes the two apart from the price?
Everything else would be a waste of time.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Strange - I do have a bunch of Brompton bags with the oldest one being more than 20 years old and the majority more than ten. Not a single problem... That's what most users seem to experience. So possibly you are the exception from the rule...

Agree. My S bag and Shoulder bag are still in fine condition.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I converted an Altura Grid Travel Bag with an S Frame and zip ties. Cost about 40 quid with the frame. It's 20L, has lots of compartments and a reflective front. Not the prettiest if you look at the back, but complements my nickel frame.

cheys03

Veteran
do you my really need a bag that mounts to the bike, at all? Honestly?

if it’s only going to get used 5 times a year as you say, just use a backpack - which many people including yourself probably already own

Mine gets used 5 days a week 48 weeks a year or not far off it. My expensive waterproof jacket is looking decidedly worn at my lower back area after using my rucksack for these two years. So probably a good idea for me even if not needed for the op.

Maybe you could also check at reddit where someone amazingly put the exact same question at the exact same time when you put your's here 😉:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Brompton/comments/11n3dty/20_litres_front_bag_thats_cheap/

Yep! I'm not exclusive to cyclechat. I never said I'm committed to here! 😂

Seriously I got ideas on there that were about Brompton prices. Plus a lot of posters on there aren't uk based and don't know the UK marketplace for such things it seems. At least here I think there's more uk posters. I'm not keen on buying from overseas and being stuck with extra duties plus longer wait. Looks like that makes me more tied into Brompton bags.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Mine gets used 5 days a week 48 weeks a year or not far off it. My expensive waterproof jacket is looking decidedly worn at my lower back area after using my rucksack for these two years. So probably a good idea for me even if not needed for the op.

So even if a bag would cost GBP250 and only last for a year this would be just a quid per day of use. And as you can (and probably will) use a Brompton bag for 10, 15 or 20 years and a decent genuine one will cost you about 150 quid and after that period you can easily sell it for at least GBP40 this would mean:

(GBP150 - GBP40) / (5days * 48 weeks * 15 years)=GBP0,03 per day of use. That's what a genuine bag will cost you.

I don't consider that excessive but rather cheap and can even less understand, why you want a cheap bag. Chances are high that a cheap bag won't stand that long and has to be replaced early, so over time will cost more than a decent one.
Once more the advice is: If you are low on money you cannot afford to buy cheap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom