Cheap Carbon seat posts... any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've raised the seat on my Giant and the graphic on the post is now a bit scratched.... perfectly serviceable I know but it annoys me when I look at it now, I can't afford to replace it with a £200 quid job but on ebay and Amazon there are Carbon seat posts at £30-£50....

Any one had any experiences... positive or negative with this price bracket of seat post or any recommendations at sub £50 from main stream suppliers (Wiggle, Ribble, PlanetX etc)

Thanks

Edit: it's a 30.9mm diameter so they seem to a bit lacking of this size on mainstream suppliers at this price point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon the viking
Was thinking about this but no reviews worry me a bit and a bit lacking in description....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outland-Inline-Carbon-Seatpost-30-9mm/dp/B000VRVYVG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1391682373&sr=1-1&keywords=30.9 carbon seat post

Is it going to be a bit chocolate? would I be better off using a Mars bar......

Any more than £50 and I will either source a decent Alloy one or live with the scratched one

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Outland iirc is Raleigh. I have an unbranded carbon post from my lbs on my carbon bike and it was about 30 or 40 quid has functioned fine as a seapost.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Why do you want a carbon post?
Not as such want a carbon one just want to replace original one which is a bit marked and annoying me when I look at the 4 month old bike.... and I thought IF I replaced it I might put a carbon one on it

vickster

Legendary Member
Are the £40 ones actually carbon or just carbon effect? Be careful not to scratch it, seems fairly inevitable sooner or later if adjusting saddle height

Presumably you need to make sure you get one with the same setback as the current one or your position will be altered, and also the same length

I'd be wary of the eBay one if leaving the bike ever as it appears to just unscrew rather than needing an allen key, a thief temptation...

VamP

Banned
I wouldn't replace a post because of a scratch - why not just touch it up with a bit of paint? Or be proud of your battle scars?

If you must replace it, why not get a good alloy (say from Thompson) instead of cheap carbon?

I am a big fan of carbon as a material, but it's usefulness for seat posts is highly overstated. Even quite clever designs like the Specailized Cobble Gobbler (they have a clever spelling for that which I can't be bothered with) or the Canyon VCLS2 don't add as much comfort as getting your tyres properly sorted.

If you are looking to shave grams off, be careful, a lot of carbon seat posts are heavier than alloy ones, and this particularly true at the cheap end of the spectrum.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Its half of the Giant Logo that's worn off I may leave it as it is... not sure yet. I just thought a carbon one would look cool

The outland one seems to be a carbon post with alloy seat clamp

@vickster Am I missing something with regard to the allen keys? don't I just use my current frame/seat post collar on the bike or do I need a different one for a carbon post

OP
OP
simon the viking
Been to see my LBS and they can get me the layback type outlandpost for about the Amazon price so might go for one at some point and @Hacienda71 is right Outland is Raleigh or at least in the Raleigh parts book

Top Bottom