Cheap Chain Catcher?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've been having a very occasional problem with the chain dropping off the front chainring so have decided to fit a chain catcher to protect my nice new carbon frame. The K-Edge catchers seem to be the most popular but seem to be expensive for what they are, but there are much cheaper versions available on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161286420231?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Anybody had any experience of these, any good?
Also I've seem the Dog Fang type discussed which look as though they would work, any good?

Thanks in advance.

13 rider

Guru
Another vote for dog fang . Cheap and easy to fit

OP
OP
W

wonderloaf

Veteran
One dog fang in my stable (tourer) but to be fair a few easy adjustments and your chain really shouldn't be slipping off .
Seems like a vote for the Dog Fang then.
@doog: I've adjusted the limiter on the FD so that the chain can't come off, I've tried replicating this problem in the workshop and just can't get it to happen. It only happens very occasionally when coming to a stop and I change big to small on the front chanring and small to big on the rear sprocket at the same time. Probably more to do with my technique so am looking at the catcher as an insurance policy!

Can anybody recommend a decent Dog Fang then?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Wiggle do their own brand Lifeline one for £3.49 (+ p&p). This type bolts onto the front changer rather than having a separate clamp, which might be better depending on the shape/diameter of your frame tube at this point. I have a similar one on a carbon frame and have never had a chain drop. I have a dog fang on an alloy frame which works fine as long as it is positioned properly but your seat tube must be circular and not oversized.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dog Fang is by Deda.

It ony fits round tubes.

The K-Edge catcher is a beautifully made little device that works perfectly.

doog

That is very true, but equally my touring bike was set up perfectly but she prefers it if I don't try and shift down at the front without first making it easier by shifting down a bit more than I am used to at the back. All bikes have their quirks. That's why I don't know if the fang has been the solution.

Cant disagree and I guess better safe than sorry. I meant to ask what sort of bike they had ..the tourer tends to get a bit of a beating so like yourself we dont' know if it works or not although I suspect it probably has..the beauty is you never know..I spend more time fine tuning the road bikes and have had no slippage,however I'm always cautious changing down as you state, adjust at the rear before the front is very good advice.

OP
OP
W

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi All, thanks all for your input, I've decided that I'm going to give the Deda Dog Fang a go. I've measured my down tube just below the FD and it is 34.9mm so I'm going to buy this:
https://www.evanscycles.com/deda-dog-fang-EV213215
What's even better is that I'm about to buy some other gear from Evans using the Tesco Clubcard double up facility and was looking for something to top the order up and this will do nicely! If this doesn't work I'll look into the Lifeline one as mentioned by youngoldbloke.

My latest bike acquisition came with a dog fang fitted. It's a bit of a godsend, when you slip the chainring, especially if it's on a downshift as your about to start a climb:eek:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Before you press "buy", check with @ColinJ because I think he used to be a distributor for Dog Fangs. He may still have stock.
More a case of sending people to Chain Reaction Cycles to buy them and getting a few pence commission each time. I eventually earned enough to buy a new tyre! :laugh:

I still use Dog Fangs. My chains don't fall off very often but it is nice having the protection there if they do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wonderloaf

Veteran
More a case of sending people to Chain Reaction Cycles to buy them and getting a few pence commission each time. I eventually earned enough to buy a new tyre! :laugh:

I still use Dog Fangs. My chains don't fall off very often but it is nice having the protection there if they do.

Sorry Colin, have already ordered the part through Evans, sorry to deprive you of the commission!

Good to hear so many positive reports about Dog Fangs, sounds like they should be fitted as standard as they're so cheap. Could probably be built into the FD if some thought was put into it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry Colin, have already ordered the part through Evans, sorry to deprive you of the commission!

Good to hear so many positive reports about Dog Fangs, sounds like they should be fitted as standard as they're so cheap. Could probably be built into the FD if some thought was put into it.
I think I can live without the 3% of (not much)! :okay:

I like the look of the fancy K-Edge catchers but thought that they were a bit expensive for what they are so I bought myself Dog Fangs instead.

Top Bottom