Cheap Chinese bike computers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Yesterday it was wall to wall sunshine here in Wales and thought it would be nice to pay my dad a visit who lives right on the coast..
He,s 73 now and still enjoys his cycling. His health is not brilliant but he still gets out and about on his E bike for rides along the coast ( and usually ends up in a pub along the way:-).
When I'm there ,I usually end up doing a few odd jobs for him , and yesterday it was to fit a cycle computer to his bike,
We got his bike out the garden shed and propped it onto its stand in the garden. It was surprisingly warm in the sun and the views of the sea from his garden are fantastic. As soon as he gave me the cycle computer I had my reservations about it.
On the packaging it was an all singing, all dancing thing that claimed to do everything all for a fiver. Once out the packaging it was evident it was a cheap and nasty offering from China.
The magnetic sensor that attaches to the spoke sheared the thread as I tightened it up. The computer it self looked ok but had an over complicated menu and the instructions were virtually none existent. Trying to set it up, it was clear it was not working properly..
After 10 minutes of messing around I threw it in the bin in disgust.
He looked disappointed bless him ,because I think he was really looking forward to getting it fitted to his bike. So we jumped my car and drove the 20 odd miles to Halfords were I bought him a Bike hut computer .
A spot of dinner and a beer for him on the way back and then fitted his bike computer up for him.
He was well pleased with it and the simplicity of how to use it.
I suppose the moral of this boring tale is don't get conned into buying these cheap all bells and whistles cycle computers you see on sale such as Ebay. They may look fantastic ,but once they arrive on your door step they often turn out to be cheap and nasty and not fit for purpose.
All said though, it was great seeing him and enjoying some quality time together :-) :-)

Slick

Guru
Hi again.
Yesterday it was wall to wall sunshine here in Wales and thought it would be nice to pay my dad a visit who lives right on the coast..
He,s 73 now and still enjoys his cycling. His health is not brilliant but he still gets out and about on his E bike for rides along the coast ( and usually ends up in a pub along the way:-).
When I'm there ,I usually end up doing a few odd jobs for him , and yesterday it was to fit a cycle computer to his bike,
We got his bike out the garden shed and propped it onto its stand in the garden. It was surprisingly warm in the sun and the views of the sea from his garden are fantastic. As soon as he gave me the cycle computer I had my reservations about it.
On the packaging it was an all singing, all dancing thing that claimed to do everything all for a fiver. Once out the packaging it was evident it was a cheap and nasty offering from China.
The magnetic sensor that attaches to the spoke sheared the thread as I tightened it up. The computer it self looked ok but had an over complicated menu and the instructions were virtually none existent. Trying to set it up, it was clear it was not working properly..
He looked disappointed bless him ,because I think he was really looking forward to getting it fitted to his bike. So we jumped my car and drove the 20 odd miles to Halfords were I bought him a Bike hut computer .
A spot of dinner and a beer for him on the way back and then fitted his bike computer up for him.
I suppose the moral of this boring tale is don't get conned into buying these cheap all bells and whistles cycle computers you see on sale such as Ebay. They may look fantastic ,but once they arrive on your door step they often turn out to be cheap and nasty and not fit for purpose.
All said though, it was great seeing him and enjoying some quality time together :-) :-)
Not boring at all, enjoy those days while you can. I do think you may 've preaching to the choir a bit but I still enjoyed reading it. :thumbsup:

Hi again.

I can only give one like, but it isn't enough

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My kids have the cheap Chinese (£2 delivered) computers, they work far better than the expensive Knog versions that we had before, plus I don't have to worry about them being stolen.

Top Bottom