Cheap chinese MTB handlebars... beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Over the years I've bought quite a few cheap & cheerful bike parts off ebay from China. They take a while to turn up but generally have been excellent, at a fraction of the price you'd pay at the LBS or UK online sellers.

However, I recently gave my MTB a once over now the mud is subsiding, and when I took the bars off, I found this underneath the stem clamp:

As you can see from the pic, the 31.8mm central clamping area deformed from the pressure of the stem clamp :S I didn't use excessive torque on the bolts either...

So these bars are now in the bin! I've had two other el cheapo chinese handlebars which have been perfectly good, so it seems to be an issue of quality control, but just thought it'd be worth posting this on here as a reminder to give such products a thorough once over before use (especially on a MTB used on "proper" trails).

Product was one of these in case anyone's curious:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FMFXTR-M...806991&hash=item42127796de:g:mjoAAOSwevJeQPig

Not saying they're all going to have this problem, as mine was probably simply a defective example.

I know people will say "buy cheap buy twice" etc etc but I'm not sure I agree with this on the whole, as I said most cheap stuff I've bought I've been really pleased with, and I'll continue to buy similar in the future... Just be careful if you're a cheapskate like me and remember to check any safety critical parts from time to time!

Drago

Legendary Member
Even expensive ones be cautious. As an MTB trainer to the EMS I've seen plenty of failures, sufficient that on my most used MTB I replace the alloy handlebars every second year regardless of how posh the brand.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
What torque did you apply and how?

Did you see this in the description?

2.ultra-light Taiwan technology, full DB tube +3D, lighter and stronger

Torqued by hand with a multi tool, so doesn't give much to go on. TBH I go by hand feel rather than Nm, but I can't recall that I've ever sheared a bolt/stripped any threads/crushed a tube in this way before in many years of working on bicycles, tractors, chainsaws and other power tools.

I also usually assume that all the DB +3D stuff is probably bollocks (if it's even in comprehensible English, not always a given for Chinese sellers) and I don't count grams on any of my bikes. I'd further (erroneously?) assume that cheaper stuff is usually heavier/sturdier than some of the more expensive stuff - seems to be the case on eg Shimano Tourney vs Deore XT (or at least it used to be in the 90s/00s, not sure what the modern stuff's like as don't own any!).

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Couple of good points in the responses here

1) It's likely some of the same factories are producing much more expensive bars (same production line with different logos??? I cynically suspect so)

2) Whether they're cheap & nasty or high end, it's always worth checking safety critical parts once in a while!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
On the plus side I've used this failure as an excuse to try out some properly wide bars (780mm). Having ridden exclusively 580mm before I never thought I'd get on with bars this ludicrously wide, but after a few years on 720mm I'm ready to give it a go - feels pretty good so far.

....and yes, the new bars are chinese cheapies :biggrin:

There's a very strong possibility that the branded bars from the LBS originated in China too.
yes, most stuff is made in china, but the key difference is that if it comes through a UK or euro outfit it will be subject to cetrtain standards. and checking. and you have a comeback. and their brand will feel the effects.

I have bought bits and bobs from china but would never buy anything with a safety aspect (including the humblest electrical thing) . I also wouldn't buy any drivetrain stuff.

I did buy a water bottle cage once that looked somewhat like a topeak one but it was plainly inferior made from inferior materials. They did refund all my money and luckily if i had ever fitted it i was only in danger of losing my bottle, not my head.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had some American alloy bars on one of my early mountain bikes, I think the brand is extinct now. The logo was a stars and stripes flag, they were dead fashionable in the 90s. They bent slowly until I realised and binned them.

Top Bottom