Cheap cycle helemets any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I have entered The Bathride 80 mile sportive next July 5th. This is my first sportive and as such I must wear a helmet. I do not wear a helmet on the 6 days of the week I cycle at present but I understand from a H & S point of view that it is a requirement of all race/sportive organisers. So I plan to buy one to wear only for the sportive and any other sportives I shall do in the future. Therefore I only want the cheapest helmet I can buy (presumably wait for a Lidl/Aldi sale) and my question is are these up to the job? or do I need to buy something expensive that I only plan to wear when requested?

Venod

Eh up
if you don't normally wear a helmet why are you worried about if they are up to the job ? I don't always wear one, when I do its a cheap ALDI one which seems just as good as a more expensive one that I trashed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just get one that fits and is comfortable

Bell from Asda would do the job if not Aldi/Lidl

Mrs M

Guru
You could also try Leisure Lake Cycles or Chain Reaction Cycles online to see if they've any bargains.
I got my Scott helmet for around £26, was originally £99. It was last years model and they had a surplus of that particular size. I found my cheaper helmet gave me a gargantuan cranium look but the Scott is quite neat and streamlined.
Happy hunting.

You have already answered your own question.
You do not wear helmet. The only reason to wear is to satisfy H and S requirement of the sportive.
Therefore what you wear is immaterial.

But if your question is which helmet to buy, then some of these replies may be helpful.

My approach is this. I wear a helmet for my protection. Helmets sold in the UK in reputable outlets all have to adhere to a certain standard. I do not have lot of money to spend on cycling. So I bought one from Decathalon for about £20. It is good enough for me. Few years ago, I had a terrible crash. My helmet was cracked. So I replaced it with exactly the same model.

They're all 'up to the job'. You will be paying for style, looks, weight, comfort, ease of adjustment etc.

Questionable statement - There are helmets that pass the less rigorous standards, yet fail the more rigorous.

The requirement for sale in the UK is that the helmet passes EN1078

This is considered wholly inadequate in many countries, and interestingly by some UK sportive organisers

UK cycling events state in their terms that:

It is mandatory that all riders wear a safety approved cycling helmet complying with latest ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards.

So in theory you could be turned away wearing an EN1078 only helmet

Here are some somewhat motherhood statements
  • Any helmet is better than no helmet when the inevitable happens
  • A better helmet allows you incorporate style, comfort and possibly a higher protection factor
  • Visors come onto their own when there is drizzle and a sliver of ray from the rising and setting sun
  • Wearing of a helmet is pretty much event driven for some - local ride in minimal traffic no helmet
  • Then you have the Taleban (read fundamentalist) who goes to his grave, resolute and proud to the very end

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
If like me all your hair has gone, all you need to do is find someone who is really good with body paint. You wouldn't need to take it off then thus offering protection around the house too!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have a £25 one from decathlon. It doesn't obscure my vision, it isn't uncomfortable to wear, it doesn't wobble about on my head, it isn't heavy, a buff will fit under it if the weather is cold, it is not the most mushroomy or stupid looking helmet I've ever seen.

This is the sort of info you need as you are wearing it for a contractual obligation rather than as a voluntarily piece of PPE. I wear mine in the dark as a high level mount for lights, I do not know; and from long experience of falling off in various ways; care very little for its impact protection properties*.

*edit, disclaimer to all: This is my personal opinion borne out of my own experience. Yours may be different, frankly I have no interest in exploring our philosophical differences on helmet efficacy.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Questionable statement - There are helmets that pass the less rigorous standards, yet fail the more rigorous.

The requirement for sale in the UK is that the helmet passes EN1078

This is considered wholly inadequate in many countries, and interestingly by some UK sportive organisers

UK cycling events state in their terms that:

So in theory you could be turned away wearing an EN1078 only helmet
I think I'd better go and check mine...

Top Bottom