Cheap fast wheels ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Aren't Alexrims generally heavy and a bit shite?
That's what I thought but look at the weight.
  • Individual wheel weight Front 715g, Rear 855g

vickster

Legendary Member
That's what I thought but look at the weight.
  • Individual wheel weight Front 715g, Rear 855g
My handbuilts with many more spokes aren't that different
You need to add rim tape and skewer weight normally. What are you replacing?

13 rider

Guru
I have a set of Alex rims bought from superstar components and someone on here said they are made of cheese . Not made of cheese but rim wear does seem excessive and I have to pick bits of rim out the brake blocks every now and then . That said they were on offer cheap ,and lightweight and a big improvement on the stock giant wheels I've had them over a year and done over 5000 miles so I'm happy enough

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I fancy some fulcrum 3's or maybe ultegra wheel set.

Then I found these
https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-cx28-road-cx-wheel-700c-81726.html

Worth it?
F3s (or Zondas) & Ultegra wheels are twice the price. As ever, Keith Bontrager's maxim applies: 'Strong. Light. Cheap. Pick two'.

13 rider

Guru
Giant PR-2. Total rubbish. Ok for a winter training set.
I upgraded by giant pr-1 and although not a brilliant wheel . I feel the biggest difference was also changing the tyre on the new wheel to continental . Have you considered just trying a tyre swap first

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I upgraded by giant pr-1 and although not a brilliant wheel . I feel the biggest difference was also changing the tyre on the new wheel to continental . Have you considered just trying a tyre swap first
Contis ordered. Maybe Fulcrum 3's later on. :smile:

Top Bottom