Cheap insurance plan for bike-aware drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Obviously I'm all for anything that makes the road a safer place to 've for cyclists but the last statement spoke volumes to me.

Insurers support improved road safety, but in 2017 less than 0.1% of motor claims involved cyclists, so it is hard to see how this could have any meaningful impact on premiums."

I agree that 0.1% is a small number, but 100 cyclist were killed in 2017. As we are talking about money/premiums it would be interesting to know how much these insurance companies had to pay out in respect of those cyclists. The greatest cost though being the loss to family and friends of these cyclists. A cost that no amount of money could take away their grief.

Slick

Guru
I agree that 0.1% is a small number, but 100 cyclist were killed in 2017. As we are talking about money/premiums it would be interesting to know how much these insurance companies had to pay out in respect of those cyclists. The greatest cost though being the loss to family and friends of these cyclists. A cost that no amount of money could take away their grief.
I agree about the greatest cost but it's the same for the 470 pedestrians families that were killed.

If it made just a few more aware of cyclists then great. They should make them cycle Hawkhead Road at rush hour which should have the desired effect. :eek:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There is already an incentive for careful drivers who pay attention to other road users, and adapt their driving style to the road conditions, the weather etc and who have fewer collisions as a result - it's called the no claims discount.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll be dating Diane Abbot before this ever happens.
Your first name is Jeremy?

Really ought to be replaced with a no blame discount

100% agree with you on that. I understand that these days the cow boys put premiums up if someone has been involved in an accident that was not their fault. The regulators just let the cowboys get away with it. All to do with so called statistics. Never used to be like that. :ohmy:

Top Bottom