cheap levers, ultegra derailleures?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
could i use any cheap drop levers/shifters with the mechanical non Di2 ultegra derailleurs?
just that there is no way for me to afford genuine ultegra lever/shifters!
also is the ultegra only in 10 and 11speed varieties as i find 7 speed more then ample and am considering changing to a compact chain set (non-ultegra) could the ultegra front derailleur work with this

sorry for all the silly questions but i want to make the right choices and have probably still over looked something or another! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

L14M

Über Member
Get tourney shifters for 7 speed?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A decent choice of drop bar brake levers here.

Have you already got the Ultegra derailleur(s)? It seems like overkill for a 7 speed system when something like Claris or Sora would do the job very well for a lot less money.

What bike is this going on? Have I missed a post about you getting a road bike?

In answer to your question, yes Ultegra is only available in 10/11 speed now as it's a long time since 7 and 8 speed was top of the range.

boydj

Legendary Member
I use these on one bike - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dia-compe-bar-end-shifters-power-ratchet-friction-control-prod21014/ - non-indexed bar-end shifters. BBecause they are non-indexed they are not sensitive to the numbers of gears on the rear, allowing you to swap between 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed with no problems.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
A decent choice of drop bar brake levers here.

Have you already got the Ultegra derailleur(s)? It seems like overkill for a 7 speed system when something like Claris or Sora would do the job very well for a lot less money.

What bike is this going on? Have I missed a post about you getting a road bike?

In answer to your question, yes Ultegra is only available in 10/11 speed now as it's a long time since 7 and 8 speed was top of the range.
well i could go 10 or 11 speed if i must but for my self i would think that speed would be enough most of the time! (yes i do like to simplify where and as possible) no i haven't got any of the mechs and anything else yet
and you haven't directly missed a post but i am dis-appointed in that you have not read my mind! :sad: i am considering probably an old/vintage road bike and then updating it components wise ie modern chainset maybe and maybe modern cassette and modern gear changing stuffs!
and i guess i just wanted to for once get the best i could with ultegra but maybe best to spend my monies on a claris or spora and spend a little more on the bike or treat it to some new shimano r500's?
I use these on one bike - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dia-compe-bar-end-shifters-power-ratchet-friction-control-prod21014/ - non-indexed bar-end shifters. BBecause they are non-indexed they are not sensitive to the numbers of gears on the rear, allowing you to swap between 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed with no problems.
good idea on the non indexed shifters i may go with that then
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
and you haven't directly missed a post but i am dis-appointed in that you have not read my mind! :sad: i am considering probably an old/vintage road bike and then updating it components wise ie modern chainset maybe and maybe modern cassette and modern gear changing stuffs!
I'll have to try harder next time.;)

Right, I understand now. If you want to keep the simplicity of fewer gears but still want it a decently high spec my suggestion would be to go for an 8 speed system (as there's currently a better choice of cassettes in 8 speed than there are in 7 speed) and Sora derailleurs.

Others will know better than me but I'm not sure whether the current Ultegra derailleurs would work correctly with 7 & 8 speed systems as 10 & 11 speed is designed for a narrower chain.

You are aware that a vintage frame may not have the rear triangle spacing to take a cassette type wheel? Cold setting will probably be required to make it fit.

Top Bottom