Cheap tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Had a cheap tent from Millets back in the day - survived many an Interail adventure.

Not so up on the latest offerings on the market.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That is not a cheap tent - I have spent many bikepacking in a tent that was brand new for £15.

51IEz4jNZdL._SL1000_.jpg

HH is only 2000, so best for the dryer trips, but at 1.5kg it is not a heavyweight. I tend to chose this often over my bigger more expensive tents, but you need to treat it carefully.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Anyone else got any more views on 2000 HH? I had the idea that I had read somewhere that 2000 is perfectly/adequately waterproof but that a higher figure is handy to allow for degredation in use. Any truth in that?

By the by one of the participants in this thread is now enjoying I think a pretty cheap tent I sold him.

I do tend to think that at sale prices there is no desperate need to ever spend more than £200 for a two or three person tent.

Anyone else got any more views on 2000 HH? I had the idea that I had read somewhere that 2000 is perfectly/adequately waterproof but that a higher figure is handy to allow for degredation in use. Any truth in that?

By the by one of the participants in this thread is now enjoying I think a pretty cheap tent I sold him.

I do tend to think that at sale prices there is no desperate need to ever spend more than £200 for a two or three person tent.

I know nothing about HH measurements, other than the higher the number, the supposedly "better" the waterproofing.
Having said that, Decathlon do not use a HH measurement on their tents and they get pretty good reviews.

I'm also of the opinion that these measurements, I presume, are done "under scientific conditions" which may be very far removed from the reality of use.
On top of that, while a material may have a certain amount of waterproofness, that's not terribly relevant if the seams/stitching/glueing are of a poor standard. Nor is it terribly relevant if the door is badly designed and every time you open it you get soaked in water.

The more I read about camping gear (or anything to do with this wonderful hobby), the more I wonder about the power of "Marketing". The urge for manufacturers to have the highest HH rating, the lowest weight rating (often achieved by excluding groundsheet and pegs!) and all the other bells and whistles that they prattle on about. I've just become very cynical about the whole thing. There seems to be an underlying, subtle message that without the ultimate, the best gear you're going to be doomed to a miserable adventure.
And that's just not true.

The important thing is to have a good think about what you want, as the user.
Forget the stats at the start and figure out where and when and how you plan on using your tent.
Figure out which design suits you best - again based on where, when and how.
Figure out how much you can comfortably carry in terms of weight and volume.
Figure out how much you can spend, or how long it'll take to save up.
Then see a model in the flesh. Get in and out. Crawl around. If you can, pitch and depitch(?).
Then hunt down a bargain ^_^

Of course, one of the best ways to figure all that out is to get out there and try it! ^_^
And for me, a cheap tent is the perfect way to start the process! You never know, it may become the perfect tent!

Having gone from a cheap tent that gave many nights of excellent service in some appalling conditions to a far more expensive tent that just doesn't feel right, I'd have no problems in recommending a series of cheap tents to someone starting out. Use to end of life and replace.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The more I read about camping gear (or anything to do with this wonderful hobby), the more I wonder about the power of "Marketing". The urge for manufacturers to have the highest HH rating, the lowest weight rating (often achieved by excluding groundsheet and pegs!) and all the other bells and whistles that they prattle on about. I've just become very cynical about the whole thing. There seems to be an underlying, subtle message that without the ultimate, the best gear you're going to be doomed to a miserable adventure.
And that's just not true..

Couldn't agree more. At the beginning of my cycle camping life I went for a camp with two folk with the intention of learning stuff. They took the train to within about 3 miles of the campsite (I rode from London and was pleased to find that my old 90s Ridgeback with its added Spa wheels performed wonderfully) and one of them had an uber expensive super lightweight tent and a stove which I was proudly told could boil a cup of water in nanoseconds. Neither of them cooked in camp but went to a pub to eat, finding my determination to rustle up some couscous bizarre. Nor did they have breakfast but simply rapid boiled cups of water for tea. Then went home.

Yes, camping shops/gear have changed. When I was younger they often seemed like a throwback to the 50s and the last refuge of the mad inventor. The eating stuff/plates etc sort of looked like cheaper/tougher versions of stuff you might use at home. Now so much of the kit is super super lightweight super super designed and you almost imagine folk showing off their brands round the campfire. One or two shops in London's Covent Garden have a lot of this stuff and you often see folk who look like harassed professionals browsing there while they entertain dreams of cutting loose. I myself have fallen for some of the designer implements etc. In truth a lot of servicable camp kitchen stuff can be found in the likes of Lidl and TKMaxx.

As I said I wouldn't pay over £200 for a tent and you can often get them for less. Buy one, if it develops really serious issues/wears out buy another of the same tent for spares. In the sales. Eventually I have found my pretty much ideal tent (Robens Lodge 2) so am now sorted. And am disposing of one or two others I have collected on the way to realising this. I could buy at least 4 of the Robens for the price of some other tents that would suite me no better. And a while ago they could even be picked up, via a slightly curious seller, for £80.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Couldn't agree more. At the beginning of my cycle camping life I went for a camp with two folk with the intention of learning stuff. They took the train to within about 3 miles of the campsite (I rode from London and was pleased to find that my old 90s Ridgeback with its added Spa wheels performed wonderfully) and one of them had an uber expensive super lightweight tent and a stove which I was proudly told could boil a cup of water in nanoseconds. Neither of them cooked in camp but went to a pub to eat, finding my determination to rustle up some couscous bizarre. Nor did they have breakfast but simply rapid boiled cups of water for tea. Then went home.

Yes, camping shops/gear have changed. When I was younger they often seemed like a throwback to the 50s and the last refuge of the mad inventor. The eating stuff/plates etc sort of looked like cheaper/tougher versions of stuff you might use at home. Now so much of the kit is super super lightweight super super designed and you almost imagine folk showing off their brands round the campfire. One or two shops in London's Covent Garden have a lot of this stuff and you often see folk who look like harassed professionals browsing there while they entertain dreams of cutting loose. I myself have fallen for some of the designer implements etc. In truth a lot of servicable camp kitchen stuff can be found in the likes of Lidl and TKMaxx.

As I said I wouldn't pay over £200 for a tent and you can often get them for less. Buy one, if it develops really serious issues/wears out buy another of the same tent for spares. In the sales. Eventually I have found my pretty much ideal tent (Robens Lodge 2) so am now sorted. And am disposing of one or two others I have collected on the way to realising this. I could but at least 4 of the Robens for the price of some other tents that would suite me no better. And a while ago they could even be picked up, via a slightly curious seller, for £80.

Sounds like you had already made up your mind and didn't really need any advice or help. Were you just trolling about expensive tents? Each to their own. We all have different budgets and priorities.

Sounds like you had already made up your mind and didn't really need any advice or help. Were you just trolling about expensive tents? Each to their own. We all have different budgets and priorities.

Or maybe he was starting a conversation, that's what the sites all about, surely

OP
OP
Blue Hills
What on earth do you mean? No trolling. Is tent trolling a thing? I was asking for views on the tent and if some views were positive it might be of interest/use to some people. I don't know the original tent and though I wander in Mountain Warehouse shops sometimes I haven't seen it/fondled it. I noticed it as I got a mailer from Mountain Warehouse about it. I will probably not buy it myself as I already have too many tents.

If you have any points to make about that tent or the issue do feel free to post.

classic33

Leg End Member

Only thing on that part, is check what unit they are quoting.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/what-is-hydrostatic-head-i1245

Nothing to stop you reproofing at a later date either.

Oh dear!
A touring forum without a regular tent discussion would be about as useful as a tent with a 2mm HH.^_^

I'm fairly sure the OP wasn't trolling, just that they're interested in tent discussions.

I agree that trolls are a drain, however, a lot of newbies read these threads without ever posting. They serve a purpose far deeper than the surface "chat".
I check in here most days and I'm not aware of any serious trolling taking place. I sometimes see questions that make me smile a little, and I'm sure that some posters, myself included, look back on some of their comments and questions and cringe a little.

Posts calling out the OP don't encourage new posters to post for fear that they too will be called out for trolling or for asking "silly" questions.
I'm a firm believer that what is between our ears is far more important for bike touring than a bike or gear. We can tour on anything and sleep in anything so long as our head is right. We should be free in our disagreements on what bike? and what tent? and what raingear? and what route? but we should be more careful in disagreeing with people's motivations.

This is one of the "nicer" touring forums that I'm aware of. It would be a shame if that was to change. Judging by attitudes displayed on other forums, I'd be wary approaching another bike tourer - they come across as highly critical, judgemental and downright unfriendly - online. Strangely, in real life, most bike tourers are very interesting and friendly!^_^ (Except for the guy I met in Luxembourg one time who demanded to see my map. When I told him I didn't have one, I got a lecture on how dumb must I be to go off cycling without a map! He cycled off in a huff when I asked him where his map was! ^_^)

Top Bottom