Cheap tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe a hammock would be worth consideration.
Is there room in a 1-2 man tent?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Not much, about the same as an hammock. One man tents are more worn than lived in. I have the old Wenzel Starlite one man tent, great on price and weight and size, but a bivy bag with 2 stakes and poles best describes it. I don't think it was called Starlite when I got it. I think the Current may be a better choice for roominess

Last edited:
Ah I think we're describing two different tents. Mine is the 3+ and weighs a quoted 7.3kg. In its bag its the width of a door.
We are indeed. Mine is the compact. Yours has the extended porch with the added advantage of the side door(s). I wimped out of your version^_^. But in hindsight, had I bought the 2 man version of yours (Amazon tells me 4,7 kg) I'd probably still be using it.

Not much, about the same as an hammock. One man tents are more worn than lived in. I have the old Wenzel Starlite one man tent, great on price and weight and size, but a bivy bag with 2 stakes and poles best describes it. I don't think it was called Starlite when I got it. I think the Current may be a better choice for roominess
I just wanted to highlight that phrase! ^_^ I think it's brilliant!
I met a guy touring in France and for every night of his 5 night trip we ended up in the same campsites - not by design. He had a tiny one man tent and I could observe his mental deterioration from day to day!

I'm ignorant on hammocks, but I imagine it's more of a North American thing. There really aren't many suitable places to set up a hammock, in my experience, in mainland Europe. Certainly not in most campsites. Having said that, I'd love to try one out!

I have a Dutch military Bivvybag that I bring along, given to me by a friend. He's a lot bigger than me, so it's very roomy. Great in wintertime for extra insulation. Have used it a handful of times instead of a tent, sometimes under cover (in a hut of somekind) but once in an Alpine valley in a vineyard. An absolutely fantastic experience falling asleep to a sky full of stars!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I wound up buying the Ozark Trail (Wal Mart) 3 person dome tent, as the backpacking tent for 2 people wound up weighing about 2-3 pounds more than the three man tent, , cost twice as much. I like to keep a six pound limit on such things, with footprint, and this is right on the money. On my day off, I'll be seam sealing and water proofing. 7.5 feet square, The weight is worth the luxury.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
stake-out.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Hills
mm gravity aided.

Not exactly stealth is it?

Or is a fly waiting to be thrown over?

Interesting.
I assume you mean the tent I posted at the beginning?

If so, yes, do please report back - any first impressions on unpacking and of course any subsequent erections/camping with it

We'd all be interested I'm sure.

You want to know about all their erections, or just the tent inspired ones?? :ohmy::laugh::laugh:

But.... that is a good point. Lots of people ask questions, but not so many come back to update. That's a pity.

Back to the smutty talk! ^_^

Top Bottom