Cheap tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R25

Regular
I have used one with a bivvy on a very wet 3 night 4 day tour.

It was...damp :surrender:

Great in the dry when it stays in my luggage and I just kip in my bivvy. Fills a gap in a pointy place where nothing else fits.
When you say it was damp was this because of the lack of a groundsheet or condensation. I always use a sheet and have never had a problem with the latter.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
When you say it was damp was this because of the lack of a groundsheet or condensation. I always use a sheet and have never had a problem with the latter.

I was in a bivvy bag under a tarp.

It was damp because the rain was horizontal.

contadino

Veteran
I've tarped/bivi'd on a 6 week ride. The thing about the tarp is that you can pitch it for the evening then adjust it for the night. So I have a pair of telescopic poles and can have it high enough to sit up for the evening, then drop them down for the night for better protection/warmth.

It only rained two nights on that trip so I didn't get to find it's full potential. Plus British weather will test the setup more.

R25

Regular
I've tarped/bivi'd on a 6 week ride. The thing about the tarp is that you can pitch it for the evening then adjust it for the night. So I have a pair of telescopic poles and can have it high enough to sit up for the evening, then drop them down for the night for better protection/warmth.

It only rained two nights on that trip so I didn't get to find it's full potential. Plus British weather will test the setup more.
That's what I like about a tarp, so easy to adapt to the conditions, some great set ups on YouTube.

R25

Regular
I think you are supposed to use poles.
I have two tarps but haven't used in the wilds yet. Intend to head to a local wood soon to furtively practice.
No need for poles if you set up a ridge line between trees. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks amasidlover - seems my post was timely.
Look forward to the in-action report.
How many pegs (roughly) do you need?

Took it out this weekend - sadly (for the purposes of assessing a tent at least) the weather was fine and warm - it went up very quickly (aluminium poles still take a bit more force than I'm used to with fibreglass ones).

16 pegs - although you can use a couple extra if you want to secure one door closed (it has doors on both sides).

Packs back into the bag easily - I'd say, providing it proves robust, its a bargain for 1 or 2 people backpacking and wanting to travel very light.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for reporting back.

Sounds interesting.

Some reports of it being a tad on the short side.

Can I ask how tall you are?

Top Bottom