cheap tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I've just brought one of those 'pop up' tents. I cannot re-fold it. After several attempts at trying i've managed to rip it (only had it an hour).

I'm now after another cheap 2 man tent that doesn't have 500 odd poles and that I can actually get back into a back within the hour.

Any suggestions?

cannondale boy

Über Member
Do you have to go for a 2 man tent? I spotted a company called hilleberg, which make really good tents, but they are expensive. I know you want a cheap tent, so i saw this one on ebay its a one man tent though, but i would go for it! Beggers can't be choosers.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

That looks absolutely ideal. Sadly I think I'm likely to be outbid as I don't want to spend loads. We'll see though.

I'm a little worried about the paragraph
Pitching of inner tent requires extra pole holders -see accessories.

I'm new to all this. Whats an inner tent and why would I want one.

snorri

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
Whats an inner tent and why would I want one.[/COLOR] [/COLOR]

It's a bit like the inner and outer walls in a house with cavity in between.
keeps you warmer and cuts down on condensation. All real* tents are double skinned nowadays.

* real meaning a tent for touring, not a childs plaything, or disposable for a summer pop concert.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Got one of these nearby?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tents

Had Vango 2 & 3 man tents cheap as chips recently £25 or so. They're becoming so cheap festival goers just leave 'em behind these days. Bought my daughter a lovely 3 man for her D of E as it was cheaper than renting one of the schools for the weekend! They're certainly good enough for general camping duties.

Bigtallfatbloke

Mine is a quecha pro t2 £60 from decathlon it weighs 1.8kilos and has a double skin, porch, pitches as one, easy to put up and take down, sleeps 2 at a squeeze or one big bloke like me. I can sleep in it comfortably with all my bags inside if necessary.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Is it for cycle touring? If so, weight becomes an important issue

It's going to be used for one night (MTB Merida) this year then possibly for cycle touring next year when/if the weather picks up.

I will probably just get a cheap 'throw away' one then buy a good quality one next year 'if' I go cycle touring again. (I have a bob trailer so weight isn't too much of a problem.)

U

User482

Millet's have a sale on every January. They call it "winter of discount tents"

My coat? Why thank you.

JackE

Über Member
tents

As someone who has bought a cheap tent or two in the past I would advise against it. A good quality 3 or 4 season tent will last 10 years or more. They give greater peace of mind when a storm is approaching and usually pack up smaller as well. There are too many brands to mention but I've found Hilleberg and Terra Nova to be up there with the best. I've just bought a second-hand, one-man Lightwave tent weighing 1.4 kg for £110, so you can get bargains out there.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have to say we have just bought a pop up 2 second tent... and it was great to go away in over night (normal tent is too big and too much effort for an overnight). We took about 10 mins to put up (including tieing on the guy ropes), and about 12 to put down on the first go.

Can't imagine putting it in a pannier though.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Mine is a quecha pro t2 £60 from decathlon it weighs 1.8kilos and has a double skin, porch, pitches as one, easy to put up and take down, sleeps 2 at a squeeze or one big bloke like me. I can sleep in it comfortably with all my bags inside if necessary.

I have been looking at that one, have you tried it in a downpour?

Top Bottom