Cheap torque wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At the moment, I fix an allen key to a bar of something, and use a spring balance at a known lever-arm to set up the torque. I'm tired of the dicking about. Is there a cheap alternative?

Thank-you.

corshamjim

Ever since buying my alu-framed Trek Pilot, I've been wondering the same thing.

I came across this:

http://www.skidmarxcycles.co.uk/par...h-1--4-inch-drive-0-60-inch-pounds-4576-p.asp

But tbh I'm not sure if it's what I (or you) would need.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank-you.

I just looked at Lennard Zinn's book and he lists typical tightening torques for different jobs. They very roughly range between 5 and 60 Nm, and he suggests you might need two because you are unlikely to get the whole of that torque range in one tool. I think I would ideally like (say) 5 to 20Nm to start with. The big stuff can wait.

Please keep it coming.:thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
To cover everything you will really need two wrenches, and a range of allen bits, sockets, adapters etc., but for most jobs a wrench with a low range will be most useful:

Here my post from early 2009/ October2010: My link

Recently, after considerable searching/research, I finally bought two torque wrenches from PVR Direct, both Sealey, and both with calibration certificates. A STW1012, 2-24 Nm, and an AK623, 27.1 -108.5 Nm. Also Sealey S0533 Hex Bit & Holder set, and a couple of adaptors/sockets. All for about £60. I am no expert but I think they are pretty good - as I said I did a lot of research, and was looking for certificated kit - and they were discounted by more than 50% when I bought them. Best prices around at the time. Also relatively difficult to find 'light' torque wrenches anyway. The S0533 Hex bit and holder set is really worth having.

- still well priced - see PVR tools

bad boy

Über Member
To cover everything you will really need two wrenches, and a range of allen bits, sockets, adapters etc., but for most jobs a wrench with a low range will be most useful:

Here my post from early 2009/ October2010: My link

Recently, after considerable searching/research, I finally bought two torque wrenches from PVR Direct, both Sealey, and both with calibration certificates. A STW1012, 2-24 Nm, and an AK623, 27.1 -108.5 Nm. Also Sealey S0533 Hex Bit & Holder set, and a couple of adaptors/sockets. All for about £60. I am no expert but I think they are pretty good - as I said I did a lot of research, and was looking for certificated kit - and they were discounted by more than 50% when I bought them. Best prices around at the time. Also relatively difficult to find 'light' torque wrenches anyway. The S0533 Hex bit and holder set is really worth having.

- still well priced - see PVR tools

I have just purchased the Park Tool beam wrench which someone posted the link at the top as I decided for me I like the idea of seeing the torque value as im wrenching. It might give me an idea of how much pressure = what nm value etc as opposed to just waiting for a click. I have read loads and loads about the cheaper ones not being calibrated very well and them not being accurate towards the lower end of there range. With the ratchet type you simply wait for a click (or not as some reports suggested on the bbb one) where as with the beam type you simply see it on the gauge. You also dont need to reset a beam type one after each use although I cant imagine this being a problem anyway.

If you do purchase a ratchet type one as youngoldbloke said make sure you get one with a cert of calibration otherwise whats the point !?.

I suppose IMO after going through the same process when buying I decided if I was going to purchase a ratchet type I would need to get a good one and spend more money.

Have you considered the Ritchey torque key pre set to 5nm with a 4mm hex key really good for the smaller things and under £20 !?.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
For bicycle use the most useful torque wrench is a 'light' one - say 2 - 24 Nm. One of the Machine Mart ones is 1.4 Kg m + = 13.72Nm +. Make sure the range is described in Nm. The Ritchey Torque Key is fine as long as 5 Nm is all you need.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Torque wrenches are not a 'must have' tool for bike maintenance. There might be some rational with small bolts on carbon components (where the Richey Torque Key is perfect), but in general the larger bolts and things like the bottom bracket are hard to 'over tighten'. Most people work on their bikes with no trouble without using a torque wrench. Certainly there is no need for one in the higher ranges.

What is needed is a degree of 'mechanical sympathy'. I've seen broken seat posts and bars attributed to 'over-tightening', but often there is another cause, such as a burr forming a stress riser or using a mis-match of road bike and mtb bars and stems. I've also seen things cross threaded but deemed 'properly fastened' as the torque wrench has clicked.

If you hold an allen key near the 'bend' and with your index finger and thumb on the part that goes down to the bolt, then doing things up firmly will not exceed 5Nm. To get a feel for this torque, hang a half kilo bag of something at the end of a metre stick and feel how hard it is to hold it out horizontally with only one hand holding the other end. That's the 'twist' of 5Nm. I bet it's more than you thought! And easy to not exceed even without a torque wrench.

subaqua

What’s the point
I use a torque wrench as its not overtightening i am bothered about but undertightening which can be far far worse.

the 3/8 drive draper one i have goes from 1Nm to 80Nm. work calibrate it for me as i have been known to use it on switchgear once or twice.

can't remember where i got it from , motor world i think

Top Bottom