Cheaper shaving brushes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I didn't realise there was so much science involved. A few years back I changed to a safety razor and haven't thought too much about it since. We seem to have a lot of Turkish brands here, which are very good and have some lovely 1950's styled packaging.

I remember hearing a story of an ad executive giving a lecture saying that the industry knew the safety razor gave the best possible shave but that they could make much more money with disposable razors, so they ran a massive campaign persuading people to change to the "better" disposables, which is why there was a market for them.
He's an advertising guy selling his industry, he's not likely to say anything else.

Best shave is an open razor. No question about that, but it takes practice, skill and you'll end up with cuts and nicks more often than not.

When safety razors came out, the cut throat market died overnight because safety razors require less skill and practice. You don't cut yourself as often but still need alum blocks and bits of tissue.

Disposables were the next step. Even easier to use and almost impossible to cut yourself.

I'll admit, when I have time I'll use a safety razor or shavette because there's nothing quite like the sizzle of a sharp blade through cheek stubble but for most men, most of the time, shaving is a chore and a Mach 3 gives a more than adequate result, quickly and with no blood.

Besides which, the best shave in the world looks like a Gillette Blue after an hour anyway.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I stopped buying soaps now, I've got too many and they would last me for the next 20 years.
have you considered talking to a professional about this...:okay::laugh:

I must admit as I'm getting through a soap I'm willing it to get used up so I can try out a new one in the pot. I generally only buy one soap ahead though, not 50odd!

I've not tried a cut throat / shavette - are they trickier to get used too than a DE?

for most men, most of the time, shaving is a chore
I'm lucky, I consider it a pleasure. I'll have a shave in the evening too if going out.

Its an odd thing as i expect most of us picked up our shaving habits from our fathers or others who influence us. Mine used a damned electric shaver, so I started with one of those. I have sensitive skin and it irritated it a bit, my uncle recommended a pre shave lotion thing which helped, but still wasn't ideal.

Then I tried wet shaving, naturally with a gillette disposable as that was the hype then, and I'd barely heard of DE safety razors and only seen a cut throat at the barbers. I think it was a similar thread to this on bikeradar many moons ago that got me trying a DE and traditional soap and brush and I was hooked.

My son started with Gillette disposables but borrowed my DE one day and liked it, so now he has his own kit.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The blades I can recommend are Gillette Silver Blue, PermaSharp and Nasett.... those are the blades I used to enjoy up to 18 months ago. Now I'm a Straight Razor and Shavettes user for my shaving.
The Windsor soap from DR Harris is very good but my favourite from them is Marlborough.... a lovely scent. I stopped buying soaps now, I've got too many and they would last me for the next 20 years.

I have a bunch of badger brushes, they are fantastic brushes but so are some boar brushes and some synthetics. I'm yet to try horse hair brushes.
For some reason I don't seem to get on with the permasharps, I found they gave me a lot of irritation. It might be because I was also switching between soaps at the time. Interestingly I went back to the Proraso the other day and that gave me irritation where it hadn't before, also with a permasharp. So whether it's the actual blade or the change of soap I don't know, but something there's not quite working for me.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never owned a shaving brush, I just squirt the cream on and lather it round with my hands. I used to use a safety razor but it takes the top off moles/spots so I switched to a Lidl multi-blade razor. They are easily as good as a Mach 3 and only cost about a fiver for 4 blades. One blade lasts me about a month, especially as I now prepare my face better (with warm water and a good quality shaving foam).

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I find the way they pack blades is odd. In a pack of 4, the first blade gives 10 shaves, the second gives 10 shaves, the third gives 15 shaves and the fourth gives about 40.

He's an advertising guy selling his industry, he's not likely to say anything else.

Best shave is an open razor. No question about that, but it takes practice, skill and you'll end up with cuts and nicks more often than not.

When safety razors came out, the cut throat market died overnight because safety razors require less skill and practice. You don't cut yourself as often but still need alum blocks and bits of tissue.

Disposables were the next step. Even easier to use and almost impossible to cut yourself.

I'll admit, when I have time I'll use a safety razor or shavette because there's nothing quite like the sizzle of a sharp blade through cheek stubble but for most men, most of the time, shaving is a chore and a Mach 3 gives a more than adequate result, quickly and with no blood.

Besides which, the best shave in the world looks like a Gillette Blue after an hour anyway.

It was a case study of how effective marketing works, certainly. I must admit it made me glad not to be in such an industry.

I've never dared try an open Razor. These days I find a safety razor as quuick as a disposable. It probably helps that I'm not that fuzzy so I can get away with shaving every 2 days or so, and the fuzzier part of the chin is under a goatee.

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
have you considered talking to a professional about this...:okay::laugh:

I must admit as I'm getting through a soap I'm willing it to get used up so I can try out a new one in the pot. I generally only buy one soap ahead though, not 50odd!

I've not tried a cut throat / shavette - are they trickier to get used too than a DE?
Nope, maybe I should have done ;)

I enjoy scented soaps while I shave.

Yes, it takes a little longer to master the technique to shave with a straight razor / shavette than a DE. Worth trying though, the results are excellent.

Top Bottom