Cheaper smartphones on the way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
(It's an LG G2 I bought second-hand off ebay about three years ago for £160, which data point I imagine doesn't really add much to the discussion)
If I believed in coincidence I'd be regretting having posted this, because since then it completely packed up working, and nothing I could do to it made it better :-(

G5 Plus (again, 2nd hand ebay purchase) on the way

Bought this for cash in 1998 and lost it same day, ho hum.
jbLxKn

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I have a Nokia/Microsoft Lumia 640 for the last 3 years and still love it. All I use it for is for texting, phone calls, music, email and web access. I bought it for $30 new, around 25 quid, so it was cheap when I got it. I also unlocked it for free. It's been fantastic; and after using various versions of Android and fiddling with the wife's iphone IOS, I much prefer the Windows phone OS -much more attractive, intuitive, easy to use, stable (yes, my phone OS is really stable). I'll be quite sad when I have to get a new phone as it won't be a Windows phone :sad: My theory is that if it didn't have the Microsoft name attached to it and was introduced at the advent of the smart phone age, the OS would have taken off. Too late to market though I think and shackled with the Microsoft name. Obvious downsides are the lack of apps, but I've not found that's been an issue for me given my usage.

My wife gave up on the iphone after the changing charger interfaces and lack of SD card expandability -and the headphone jack was the final straw. She got a Motorola G5 plus for less than half the cost of an iphone and is pretty happy. I think a Motorola G5/6 is more than likely going to be my next phone (though I'd be tempted to use a Metro UI on it!). Unlocked G5's can be had for pretty good prices now, and prices will keep dropping with the G6 on the horizon.

Top Bottom