Cheaper smartphones on the way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Cheaper smartphones are already available. Either look at reconditioned phones or the basic Moto ranges. The current Moto G5 is a phone every bit as good as the 2016 top price models, but for a quarter of the price.
Yes I have been considering a phone from the Moto range for ages.

Of course I meant "cheaper than now".

Do you have any views on that?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The serious answer to the question is that, by and large, people will continue to pay a similar amount for their smartphones. But the smartphones will become more sophisticated

Same as cars...people have got used to cars costing X, so manufacturers supply to a price point and, over the years, the features in a car have increased to maintain the price point. People are used to, and comfortable with, paying say £30 a month for a smartphone and suppliers will manufacture to the price point, gradually making them more and more sopisticated

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Mm
Not exactly true nick, there's a massive ongoing thread on beer. I would maybe contribute if I wasn't so busy drinking the stuff.

The beer thread is a wonderful outlier. Populated by people who genuinely love the stuff and full of ace recommendations. I can't remember a teetotaller ever venturing in there to say "I don't have an opinion on beer because I haven't had a drink since 1943".

Probably cos we'd tell them to fark right off

Cycleops

Legendary Member
People are used to, and comfortable with, paying say £30 a month for a smartphone and suppliers will manufacture to the price point, gradually making them more and more sopisticated
In fact prices for top end phones have increased substantially. Getting something on the ‘drip’ has always been a way to afford something you couldn’t buy outright. As phones have become more expensive all the network suppliers have done is extended the term so it appears you’re paying the same.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
£50!!!! Its not rugged, shockproof, waterproof...how is a ruffty outdoorsman like myself supposed to dig a snow shelter with that?
Well you can get an iphone case but you have to have an iphone to start with,i think i would rather dig with my fingernails.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...MY-KNIFE-complete-wood-saw-bottle-opener.html
article-2572081-1BFF919E00000578-241_634x475.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Hills
How much cheaper do you want? Alcatel have a smartphone available for £60, the Pixi, which is actually a decent bit of kit.
Ta for the suggestion but I don't rate Alcatel stuff. I see that it has a removable battery which is at least good.

If you have a view on the original post, let me know.

all the best

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think it's like it said in the article, the companies will expand into other SE asian countries, not so much western europe.

The smartphone market is gearing up for the combination of AI and 5G.

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
How much cheaper do you want? Alcatel have a smartphone available for £60, the Pixi, which is actually a decent bit of kit.

Alcatel 5, decent bit of kit. Alcatel 1 series looking good for budgets though.

Mobile World Congress 2018 will have a lot more details.

Cheaper smartphones are already available. Either look at reconditioned phones or the basic Moto ranges. The current Moto G5 is a phone every bit as good as the 2016 top price models, but for a quarter of the price.
Pretty much the stock phone in our house. one G3, one G4 and I've just got the G5, though I think the G3 has now been retired to a spare. About the only thing the G5 doesn't have is a magnetometer and NFC but as I don't need either, it's fine. I'm, also impressed by it's camera too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Pretty much the stock phone in our house. one G3, one G4 and I've just got the G5, though I think the G3 has now been retired to a spare. About the only thing the G5 doesn't have is a magnetometer and NFC but as I don't need either, it's fine. I'm, also impressed by it's camera too.
G6 is rumoured to land next month in std, Play and Plus versions. From £175.

Top Bottom