Cheapest Energy Suppliers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I must admit to being a bit confused as to why anyone would sign up to a new energy supplier after being accosted. Surely ever who changes does some price comparisons. Just because they have started you off at £44 per month DD does not mean that you won’t end up paying more than before.

Absolutely this. When they, surprise, surprise, discover in a years time that they have been grossly under charging Accy, they will bring out the book of excuses. "Yes, we are sorry Mr Accy but we didn't realise you would be washing your tweeds twice weekly and tumble drying them. Or that you lived in a draughty slum in the north which would require ridiculous amounts of heating in the winter...."

Use uswitch.com before it's too late Accy!

Drago

Legendary Member
Scottish Power? Good luck @Accy cyclist , I escaped their greedy clutches years ago, but maybe things have improved. The clue is in the name; they impose a 50% surcharge on anyone with an Ingerlund flag on their avatar. I wouldn't go back to them if they were the last energy provider on the planet. Well, not unless the alternative was NPower - now there is a bunch of robbing, couldn't care less about our customers shower of bar stewards. They seem to think you want to bank with them rather than just pay for energy you use.

On a positive note, I am now with Octopus energy, have been for 2 or 3 years now, and have found them to be good to deal with, reasonably easy to understand billing system, and fair tariffs.
Octopus was named after Prince Andrew.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Press button 9, the digits are easily large enough to read, unless you need to see an optician.
Display scrolls through several display the first 'volume' will be repeated again with another reading:- volume again/other numbers.
Another top tip when you're reading meters: find out what the number was on your last bill. If the number you're reading now is a few hundred more, you're probably reading the right number. If the number you're reading now is lower, or out by 27,641 you're probably not, and need to press the button again until it is.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Oh my lord,what a palava i've just had! At 6pm all my power went off! My first thoughts were that my current supplier had cut me off before the agreed cut off date of 23/7/21. I phoned them and was met with a mind numbing repetitive recorded message,saying "you're next in the queue". I couldn't stand it anymore after 10 long minutes,so i phoned my housing association who said they send out an emergency electrician,but told me that if the power came back on i had to phone them to cancel him. The power did come back on,so i phoned them and they cancelled him. Guess what? Yes, as soon as i'd cancelled him the fecking power went off again!! After having to go through all the password stuff again with the HA he came out,in quite good time may i add. He asked what electrical things i'd used which might've affected it. It turned out it was my crappy old plug in grill that caused it. He said it wouldn't have flicked the power switches straight away but when it warmed up it would've done.

The old grill thingy is now in the bin!!🧐

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I signed up to "we look after your bills". Best thing I ever did. I saved around £12/month 2 years ago and they do it all for you. This last time the ones I'm with were still the cheapest so I've stayed with them

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ozo, cheaper than Octopus... but they're all as bad as each other- no competition as they are all middlemen- raking off profits for shareholders.

They only market energy they don't produce or distribute it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Look After My Bills......

My experience of this company is truly awful I wouldn't trust them one inch. After I made a general enquiry they switched me to a more expensive supplier without my permission. Sorting that out, getting transferred back to my original supply took weeks.

During the whole process contact with LAMB Customer Service was virtually impossible resulting in nothing but a stream of automated emails.

I'd urge anyone looking to use them to read the reviews carefully before taking the leap. Far from the warm, cuddly, consumer friendly image presented to the user a year after getting funding in Dragon's Den the founders and investors sold out for £12.5m to Gocompare leaving behind a sham of a business.

There's no substitute for spending 30 minutes researching for the best options oneself.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've received a message from Scottish Power telling me I am now officially one of their customers. Will I have to send a meter reading off to my previous,supplier,as I presume the meter will now be using SP power and the last supplier will want to know what my reading was right up to the changeover so they'll know how much I owe them,or they owe me.

Top Bottom