Cheapest Tiagra roadie for 1st time/ cleet advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Omario7

Regular
Having mediocre cycling xperience, currently hav a raleigh pioneer hybrid, but want a 1st road bike for sportives. Hav done Bham to London last year, and wil b doing 150km round Cornwall ride in mid-Sep. This yr (Festival of sport). I cycle to work from tym to tym.

Would like a good Shimano Tiagra shifter-based bike. Hav 2bikes in mind currently (Eddy Merckx AMX-1 2012, £700/ Felt z95 2012, £600). Any suggestions? Budget= £700. Also want cleets for 1st time but not sure wot to go for. Dont want them too xpensiv. Also cant decide on havin mudguards/ panniers on road bike...

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
How far is it from Tym to Tym? Is that a round trip?

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant stores have limited stocks of the Giant Defy 2 for £639, meant to be a cracking ride - if you want something else to consider :smile:

The Defy 2 will take a rack and guards too, as far I know the Felt doesn't have the bosses - £600 is a very good price for the Felt - limited sizes one assumes?

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Giant stores have limited stocks of the Giant Defy 2 for £639, meant to be a cracking ride - if you want something else to consider :smile:

The Defy 2 will take a rack and guards too, as far I know the Felt doesn't have the bosses - £600 is a very good price for the Felt - limited sizes one assumes?
Thnx vickster. Btw, the z95 is on sale for £500 in diff. Sizes!!! I'l b poppin over to evans cycles shortly to hav a look at the merckx, and to try some clipless footwear

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you sure the Z95 is full Tiagra - including the shifters? I.e. no thumb button, proper full brifters? Not sure what this means

Shifters Micro.shift integrated shifter/brake lever
Front Derailleur Micro.shift Ø31.8mm clamp
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra SS short cage

Unfortunately, cannot see a 54cm at that price for sale in the London area - No pannier bosses either. I think I'll stick with the Avail 2 that is waiting for me, don't want to buy on spec from the web.

Good price reduction though :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd certainly have a look at the Giant Defy 2. Giant don't seem to have a shop anywhere near Brum, but Cyclesurgery have for £700

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/store-birmingham/content/fcp-content
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giant-d...s/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/40736

Got a Trek option too http://www.cyclesurgery.com/trek-1.5-c-2012/road-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/40681

I am not sure I'd choose a bike based on what Evans have on their shop floor, especially if it's £150 over budget

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Whatever bike you buy make sure its the correct size. wrong size frame will ruin your fun. Tredz online have a usefull size guide for road bikes. Better to get fitted by someone knowledgeable. Bike shop staff arent allways experts so do your own research.

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
2 bolt SPD's or 3 bolt cleet systems? 1st time user remember so will need to get used to it. I'v seen specialized BG shoes that look good, esp.@£55

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you need to be able to walk anywhere in them? Check what type of cleats the shoes will take. Spd shoes are meant to be easier to use for a newbie and easier to walk in

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
well, i'd b doin sum walkin but not much i dont think. Btw, jus found a pair of specialized Expert road shoes 2010 for £65 (down from £130!!!)

Top Bottom