Cheating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmun

Probably a silly question, so forgive me. Many of us are quite proud of our physical capability on a bike - so how do we overcome that sense that having electric assistance is cheating? I ask because I'm tempted to go electric.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why would it be cheating? I didn't realise the game had any rules.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
For the year of lockdown I've used the time to lose weight, having an electric bike would've just meant I went faster and probably further for the same physical effort, which was the driver for me.

When MrsA_T and I go out on the e-assist tandem we are quicker than I am on my own on my road bike.... it's not cheating at all, it's just faster and way more fun up hills- we still giggle when I set the the assist to kick in and we pedal uphill at 14mph!

[Mind you we were seriously frowned upon by the Tandem Club group when we turned up with our e-assist tandem and proceeded to sail up the hills - to such an extent we didn't us the motor much and had 80% battery when we'd finished the 42 mile ride on the moors towards Otterburn.]

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
We have just bought a house 24 miles from my work. I'm currently wrestling with, do I drive a bit then cycle 12 to 15 miles in or cycle train cycle probably 8 to 10 miles or go electric and do the full 24 each way on the bike?

gzoom

Über Member
Probably a silly question, so forgive me. Many of us are quite proud of our physical capability on a bike - so how do we overcome that sense that having electric assistance is cheating? I ask because I'm tempted to go electric.

Is having an more aero bike cheating? Are lighter wheels cheating? Is a better groupset cheating?

I ride my eBike as much as my analogue road bike. They complement each other. As it happens my eBike is in the shop getting fixed right now, my road bike has 23mm tyres, rim brakes, no mudguards can you guess how much I have used it last week in the rain/wind etc to commute to work on?......I give you a clue you only need 1 finger to count it ;).

Am under 40, I have no health issues, I can average 18mph on my analog road bike over rolling terrain and my next bike purchase will be an eRoad bike.

49752310931_b2bc03715a_k_d.jpg

The issue is not cheating. Its more the recognition that we need help past a certain point in our age. Riding is not just commuting, transport and fitness but a pleasurable experience.

Cheating allegations start to fly if you turn up at club rides and start walking with the swagger or in bunch ride, you act as though you are fitter than those without the motor.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A good question imo.
Aged 74......prior to this health issue.....I enjoyed the challenge of cycling. OK only 20-35 miles but I enjoyed it.
I gave my bike to my son and am now seriously looking at an ebike.
I view it as a new chapter in life. Embrace and enjoy it.

Horses for courses I think, different purposes.
Mrs SnG always enjoys cycling, but matching her pace didn’t provide sufficient workout for me, but was still enjoyable for us both.
With Her Cube electric, she now doesn’t find hills very difficult and waits for me at the top, and distances of 30 plus miles are sufficient for her to enjoy a wider area, and for me to get some exercise.
She also agreed to ride to Paris within the first week of having her new e bike, and we did this, in 2018, which was one of the most wonderful 4 day cycling weeks we’ve ever had.
Cheating, no..... empowering, most definitely!
F3A996BC-86DD-4E10-92AF-4DD88ACAA611.jpeg

Cube and Cannondale in Paris!

Slick

Guru
Horses for courses I think, different purposes.
Mrs SnG always enjoys cycling, but matching her pace didn’t provide sufficient workout for me, but was still enjoyable for us both.
With Her Cube electric, she now doesn’t find hills very difficult and waits for me at the top, and distances of 30 plus miles are sufficient for her to enjoy a wider area, and for me to get some exercise.
She also agreed to ride to Paris within the first week of having her new e bike, and we did this, in 2018, which was one of the most wonderful 4 day cycling weeks we’ve ever had.
Cheating, no..... empowering, most definitely!
View attachment 588776
Cube and Cannondale in Paris!
Same story with myself and Mrs Slick, went from only doing a fee very slow miles to a mini tour in Holland with her ebike. Great tool. :okay:

Whether or not it cheating depends on why you ride
If you ride to get/keep fit and nothing else then - it may be cheating
But if you actually like riding and having an ebike means you can go further and will do it more often then is isn;t cheating because you are probably getting more exercise by ebiking for 2 hours 7 times a week instead of biking 30 minutes 4 times a week

And if you do it just for fitness then aero, carbon frame, aero clothes etc etc are cheating as well - possibly gears as well

I just do it because I like it
I may get a non ebike at some point when I can ride my ebike in low assist all the time with no effort - but I'll wait until the post pandemic sell off of 1 years old bikes starts and the prices go down. I also need the time for my wife to forget how much the ebike cost!!

Legomutton

The issue is ... more the recognition that we need help past a certain point in our age. Riding is not just commuting, transport and fitness but a pleasurable experience.

Or with health issues.

Absolutely true for me...I might be able to climb an average hill unassisted in granny gear with a struggle, but there's no joy in struggling or in being exhausted after a 5 mile ride that is supposed to be fun.

However I don't think even that excuse is required. Choosing to use an e-bike as an e-bike is fine even if you're Geraint Thomas.

And I also do it for fitness - without an e-bike, I wouldn't do it at all. My heart might be knackered, but it still needs exercise to avoid being even worse

My wife has an ebike because she can never be sure that her asthma will not kick in.
Hence, she would be nervous about riding any distance because she might not be able to get back.
However, with an ebike she could simply increase the assists level and even very gentle pedalling will get her back with minimal effort.

Top Bottom