Cheating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
It was more a marginal gains ebike of relevance only to (cheating) pros.

The entire road bike industry is based on selling 'marginal gains' to non pros ;).

£10k for an eRoad bike or £10k for an analogue road bike with a bit more aero claims.....I know which one is going to get money.

Though £10k is too much for me to justify on any bike, but at £5k its a no brainer to go for the eBike version verus analogue.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My wife and I overtook a couple of women up a hill today. The front one accused us of cheating. Which was weird as she was on her hybrid and I was on my three speed Brompton. We can only conclude they thought one was an ebike. My wife decided to take it as a compliment.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but at £5k its a no brainer to go for the eBike version verus analogue.

That's certainly one view, particularly if you think you are getting fair value for the bike bits.

Some of the previous Vivax bikes looked poor in that respect.

I saw one a few years ago which was a £750 ally roadie with a Vivax motor retailing for close to £4k.

gbb

Legendary Member
I am a bit tired of seeing all the same old same old threads asking if using an Ebike is cheating or not.

Who the hell cares. If you want one then buy one. Why do you care what anyone else thinks. It's you're money not theirs.
Best form of defense is attack...I suspect if someone accused me of cheating, I'd simply reply.. but I dont care what you think...or mind yer own ferkin business...or my money, my rules, sod off....or who the fark do you think YOU are...anything along those lines.

Legomutton

This cheating's not working is all I can add.

I was passed by yet another roadie yesterday while plodding comfortably into a headwind on a slight upward gradient in Eco.

We were each doing what we wanted, which seemed fine to me. I had just about given up cycling, now I'm out again whenever the weather is kind and getting more than enough exercise.

scoobs

Regular
9131C991-F3E4-4330-92C4-23300624338A.jpeg

mustang1

Guru
Probably a silly question, so forgive me. Many of us are quite proud of our physical capability on a bike - so how do we overcome that sense that having electric assistance is cheating? I ask because I'm tempted to go electric.
Cheating takes many forms. You can go electric as you mentioned above, or you can take EPOs etc. But you can also get aero frames, or aero wheels, a wider range cassette, go on a diet, or dont go on a diet if you have a stressful job. These are all forms of cheating, but why specifically choose electric as the de facto cheat? In any case, going electric could be a form of UN-cheating, because you only get assistance up to 15mph and after that you have to lug around a heavy bike.

I suppose one way of not cheating is to ensure everyone has an identical bike and doesn't draft. Hey, is drafting a type of cheating?

I also want an electric bike but I'm staying away for now only because i don't want something else to go wrong.

mustang1

Guru
My wife and I overtook a couple of women up a hill today. The front one accused us of cheating. Which was weird as she was on her hybrid and I was on my three speed Brompton. We can only conclude they thought one was an ebike. My wife decided to take it as a compliment.
You should have told her shes a flat earther and anti vaxer then dropped the hammer. I wonder what kind of stupid personalilty these people have. Idiots.

mustang1

Guru
This cheating's not working is all I can add.

I was passed by yet another roadie yesterday while plodding comfortably into a headwind on a slight upward gradient in Eco.

We were each doing what we wanted, which seemed fine to me. I had just about given up cycling, now I'm out again whenever the weather is kind and getting more than enough exercise.
Best response of the thread. Bravo sir.

macp

Guru
Touch wood im relatively fit & well and before getting my ebike I had been commuting to work by (non assist) cycle for over 10yrs.
I decided I deserved a break but didnt want to give up cycling. I could easily drive to work but I like cycling and I like the additional health benefits. But in all honesty for a long time I was a motorcyclist and my ebike gives me back a little of that feeling. And that part really is at the heart of my enjoyment of my ebike. Its my transport, my vehicle and my pride & joy.

Cheating ??

Ste T.

Guru
I do a 10mile each way commute and have done for over 10 years. My arthritic knees are slowly giving up the ghost. The point is fast approaching when it will be ebike or no bike.
I refuse to give up cycling so ebike it is. 😁👍👍👍
Why care what anybody else thinks, especially strangers?

Top Bottom