Cheating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MGman

We bought two FreegGo ebikes soon after changing from a touring caravan to motorhomes. Reason: a caravan + car gives the obvious flexibility when situated some distance from shops and towns. Without a car & the motorhomes all longer than 7m, town parking etc was no fun.The two earlier Claude Butlers were fine but when loaded up - it was a struggle. Ebikes, though, meant we could load up the panniers with sufficient goods to last a week.

Five years on - the FreeGo's were showing their age,especially the motors which didn't like getting wet. So the two new Raleigh Motus' with crank drives were a world apart! Smooth acceleration, highly adaptable depending on the "mode" selected. They mean that both of us, being the wrong side of being close to 80, the downsizing to a much smaller motor home can be delayed. We're not ready yet! Cheating? No, just being practical.
That said, the recent acquisition of my son's unwanted Genesis Volare, to which he'd added a lot of "naughty" bits, is another matter!

keithmac

Guru
Touch wood im relatively fit & well and before getting my ebike I had been commuting to work by (non assist) cycle for over 10yrs.
I decided I deserved a break but didnt want to give up cycling. I could easily drive to work but I like cycling and I like the additional health benefits. But in all honesty for a long time I was a motorcyclist and my ebike gives me back a little of that feeling. And that part really is at the heart of my enjoyment of my ebike. Its my transport, my vehicle and my pride & joy.

Cheating ??

Exactly same here, been cycling to work for 25 years in all weathers, last 5 on an ebike.

After a full day on your feet at work it's nice to have a little help up the hills.

Don't fancy commuting in the car, enjoy riding my bikes.

I was faster on my none ebike but that's not the be all and end all..

macp

Guru
Exactly same here, been cycling to work for 25 years in all weathers, last 5 on an ebike.

After a full day on your feet at work it's nice to have a little help up the hills.

Don't fancy commuting in the car, enjoy riding my bikes.

I was faster on my none ebike but that's not the be all and end all..
That is exactly how I feel. Some days I work harder and some days I let the bike help me home. Also like you I was faster (at times) on my old road bike but the advantages of my ebike easily outweigh my roadbike.

There is a lot of ignorance regarding ebikes though. One guy I was chatting with at work looked at my bike and said 'lazy'. Until I told him it assists my ride and that it does not have a throttle. He smiled and said sweet. It was short lived though as my colleague told me later that he said he hates cyclists ^_^

dodgy

I've said this before on here, but if someone accuses you of cheating, ask them if they have a washing machine at home. Watch their face look confused for a few seconds until it dawns on them.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Cheating only really applies if it is giving you an unfair advantage in say competition, or even using Strava and logging a ride as being on a normal bike intentionally, knowing that you are having an advantage on hilly segments, etc. Otherwise, I think they are great and the day will no doubt come I will consider one.

Mike_P

Guru
To avoid Strava cheating issues any ebike Strava user can copy ride segments to the ebike section, something Strava have not automatically done. To make it simpler their is a script written by Nick Beaton available which a userscript manager such as Tampermonkey uses in Chrome or MS Edge with buttons added to copy segments either publically or privately. Just leave it running for for some time; it converts the ride from an ebike one to ride (so best to keep the ride restricted to your own viewing), goes through the route picking up each segment and checking if its already in the ebike section or if not creating it. At the end of the process it should reset to ebike. Their is a limit on how many segments can be created each day so if a lot are involved the script may need to run more than once. The created segments pick up any existing ebike records along the segments so having having run the script against an ebike ride along a section of the A61 not previously ebiiked last week it added three segments to the ebike ones with my not exactly flat out attempt gaining 5th, 7th and 8th overall.

macp

Guru
I've said this before on here, but if someone accuses you of cheating, ask them if they have a washing machine at home. Watch their face look confused for a few seconds until it dawns on them.
Works for me or a dishwasher which could be arguably more relevant. Even though the response will be "but you cant ride a washing machine". :rolleyes:

dodgy

Works for me or a dishwasher which could be arguably more relevant. Even though the response will be "but you cant ride a washing machine". :rolleyes:
I use the washing machine analogy because close to 100% of people have one in their homes, rather more than dishwashers.

macp

Guru
I use the washing machine analogy because close to 100% of people have one in their homes, rather more than dishwashers.
Fair point and I will use it. Then await the "you cant ride a....." when it comes.

Top Bottom