Cheese appropriation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That's got me thinking. I do love Halloumi, the popularity of it meant that there weren't enough Sheep/ Goats milk to meet demand so they started to adulterate it using Cows milk. It's also no longer region protected so there's a load of " Halloumi style" versions of very dubious quality. I was wondering if NZ with all its sheep makes a more authentic version, could become a lucrative export market.

They certainly do halloumi, but I don't remember what milk they use. Similarly feta. The NZ brie and camenbert I'm sure is the same cheese in a different wrapper.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Worry not! The Empire strikes back:
Cricket-St-Thomas-Camembert.jpg

Howzat!

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They certainly do halloumi, but I don't remember what milk they use. Similarly feta. The NZ brie and camenbert I'm sure is the same cheese in a different wrapper.

NZ has as many dairy cows as people and 5 times as many sheep as people, but an insignificant number of farmed goats (although a reasonable feral population thanks to Captain Cook!).
It shouldn't be short of cows or ewes milk, but is probable more profitable to export baby milk formula to asia than to fanny around and produce decent cheese. The sheep industry has historically focused on meat, but sheep dairy production is increasing.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The best goat’s cheese I have yet tasted is Crottin de Chavignol. I got some a couple of months ago with a voucher I was given for George Mewes’ Cheese Shop in the west end.

Fortunately it’s a good hour away on the bus so I don’t pass it every day, otherwise I’d be financially ruined.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cheddar is rather low down on my cheese list at the moent - Shropshire Blue being top

Someone else on my list of people that I am going to drop in on accidentally. @Reynard is currently top of the list. Get her talking about Motorsports, and she won't notice her cheese and pickle supplies disappearing fast.

My cousin and her husband made a mistake in putting me up on our trip to the World Championships in Glasgow. The more wine they gave me, the more cheese and wine I consumed.

Last edited:
Someone else on my list of people that I am going to drop in on accidentally. @Reynard is currently top of the list. Get her talking about Motorsports, and she won't notice her cheese and pickle supplies disappearing fast.

My cousin and her husband made a mistake in putting me up on our trip to the World Championships in Glasgow. The more wine they gave me, the more cheese and wine I consumed.

Well, I *will* be sober at least. That's guaranteed, given that I don't drink any alcohol. ;)

OTOH, once you get me nerding on motor racing, you're right, I probably *won't* notice who is taking what out of my fridge. :laugh: Just be careful though, because the cat* steals cheese. :biggrin:

* sadly, my one remaining cat. Poppy, my oldie, who I lost just over a fortnight ago, was the master cheese stealer here chez Casa Reynard. Parmesan was her favourite target, followed by Gruyere.

Top Bottom