Cheese appropriation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
23 years ago I worked in a Cheese (processing) Factory in the heart of Somerset and the cheese that we shipped to supermarkets as "Cheddar" was imported by the pallet in 20Kg blocks from Switzerland. The Red Leicester was the same stuff but with a orange dye added.

Good evening,
....... The Red Leicester was the same stuff but with a orange dye added.
That's depressing but totally believable. :-(

Red Fox Leicester is getting into the supermarkets around here, it was a pleasent surprise as it has a real flavour, please don't tell me that it almost the same cheese just with some nut flavouring added!

https://www.beltonfarm.co.uk/about-us/

It'd be sad if it went the same way as many Herefordshire ciders, small batches, no money for the brewers but great taste, or huge batches, lots of money for the brewers and no taste.

Bye

Ian

The Red Fox stuff is really lovely.

I'm currently wading through a large block of tesco's "finest" red leicester that I bought over christmas. So it's matured a bit longer in mon frigo, and is very nice. :hungry:

We had to stop buying cheese in Booths as it was just too easy to realise too late at the checkout that you've spent £50 on cheese that will not last a week. They sell possibly the best range of cheeses in any supermarket chain in the UK. Plus they give you tasters like an old fashioned cheese shop.

Their deli, cheese and meat counters in our old local booths had one long counter divided between the sections by glass screens. Meat, cured meat, cheese, unpasteurised cheese and another of mixed veg, olives, etc. We used to work along from the meat to the cheese section and that journey took possibly over 30 minutes and over half of our weekly shop.

We had to stop that to save money and our food bill dropped from over £120 main shop plus extras in the week to £60 plus less extras.

Oh and don't get be started on their alcohol aisle! One year they outcompeted the nearby Tesco for reduced price single malts. You could pick up a litre of one of the Ardbeg single malts for £20!!! Tesco reduced it to £35 that week. We got to test quite a few that year.

We get our cheese from here.

picture-1200.jpeg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have seen British brie cheese. They just label it as "Brie style cheese".

The French are just getting their own back.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Cheese is a fairly expensive food product here, mostly due to import taxes. A while back, the local market had a stall selling what looked like delicious pizza slices, so I made a purchase. The melted 'cheese' turned out to be some sickly sweet mayonnaise type goo. Nearly spat out the mouthful I had taken xx(

A few years ago one of the local pizza takeaways was fined under food regulations - I forget the details but all of the topping ingredients had been false; the ham wasn't ham and the cheese wasn't cheese. Probably the same sort of stuff you had.

Top Bottom