Cheese appropriation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Have to say I was shocked when my wife brought this back from the local supermarket.
It's just Cheddar Mr Frenchie.
Payback for Brexit?

IMG_20230814_125004.jpg

And they also stole 'sandwich'.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Have to say I was shocked when my wife brought this back from the local supermarket.
It's just Cheddar Mr Frenchie.

View attachment 702594

And they also stole 'sandwich'.

That's not "proper" cheddar :smile:

That's a result of the war effort in WWII apparently. To feed the nation the food department mandarins wanted a cheap, mass produced cheese. They looked around and chose cheddar as the starting point but made it industrial and exported or around the empire. The result was a synthetic cheese which retained the name cheddar but wasn't.

Fast forward the name cheddar has been so degraded it failed to get the regional type protection when part of the EU. The cheese that went for it was all made in the area of origin of the cheddar but because cheap Canadian and New Zealand synthetic cheddar plus the cheap UK supermarket versions the real type got lost among the rubbish.

Now the French are passing off their inferior and sliced cheese as cheddar with a frenchification. This is not brexit this is world war two apparatchniks deciding to call something what it certainly wasn't for war efficiency. Their motives might have been good but they messed up the cheddar cheese name.

Rant over!

Except we should burn any French truck bringing that rubbish into the UK. Give them a taste of their own medicine!:okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's not "proper" cheddar :smile:

No idea if you can get proper cheddar but nowadays it is just a type of cheese. Our local cheese producer made something called cheddar but nowhere near Cheddar.
Despite that it is very nice cheese and much in demand.
Presumably the name is not protected as some regional specialities are.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At least it's vaguely cheese. Mrs Slowmotion went to the supermarket without her glasses and came back with something that left a nasty lingering aftertaste. Closer inspection of the packet revealed it was "vegetarian Chedder" made from coconut milk. I'm pretty sure that should be brought to the attention of Trading Standards.

Avoid at all costs. It's vile.

Top Bottom