1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheesed off with Junk emails

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by stevenb, 6 Sep 2007.

1. stevenb

stevenb New Member

I'm really cheesed off getting the jun email that I do. I'm always very careful when buying online and always choose not to receive 3rd party adverts etc. I'm not a member of anything dodgy at all. Is there a way I can lose them? When you open the mail and choose the 'Unsubscribe' option you get even more emails...GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR :biggrin:

2. longers

longers Veteran

I've got yahoo mail which is excellent at sorting these into a Bulk folder. Only one or two wrong uns a month make their way into my proper e-mails.

3. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

I have downloaded this http://www.spamfighter.com/ It sorts out stuff and "learns" what you want to block, putting it in a folder that you can either check thro or just dump :biggrin:. Only problem I have is when I allow an automated download of my e-mails it doesn't sort them for some reason. Keep meaning to contact the software folks to see if there is a fix for that :biggrin:

4. I hate Junk emails too :blush:, I get tons to hotmail account; "cheap meds from Canada", they're not exactly cheap by the time you ship them here :biggrin:. The theory is that when you choose to 'Unsubscribe' to junk you are actually confirming that it is a live email account so you get sent more as you say :biggrin:

5. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I don tget many...one or two a month maybe. I use outlook express and Btyahoo....

6. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I have both Yahoo and Hotmail and they seem to keep out most of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Pete

Pete Guest

BT Yahoo for me too. Seems to do its job most of the time, only about 1 or 2 spams a month get through. I do have to regularly (at least once a week) check the Bulk folder, some surprising things get planted there (including a family message from my brother-in-law). Also the regular 'newsnets' from CTC used to get regularly diverted as spam, despite the fact that every week I used to dutifully click the NOT SPAM button... In the end I sent an angry E-mail to Yahoo: their only suggestion was to 'keep trying', eventually the system would 'learn' who my real contacts were. I suppose it has now.

8. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

the mail application on the mac does a good job too.

9. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

Thats the way they can tell that your emails working, just ignore or delete them, or if your bored, do some 419 baiting (google that :biggrin: )

10. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

is there a "bounce" option (sends a return-to-sender email back as if your address is invalid)?

11. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Good advice, I never open emails unless I have some idea what they are. I don't use Outlook Express either.

Agree that Yahoo does a good job of filtering although I have responded to emails from forum users (the old C+ one) and then found myself suddenly getting junk mail:ohmy: