chelsea-barça

who will go through

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Wigsie said:
Surely thats what makes the game so exciting... it is heartbreaking when you lose in a bad/unfair way, but football is a sport that has not been ruined by panels of referees in a box somewhere watching video replays to decide whether its a goal or a penalty and the stop/start disruption that comes with it.

So when the element of human error/misjudgement affects a result like this you have to take it on the chin, happens to all teams in both favours at some point (except maybe Man U :tongue: ). But its the highs and lows of the game which is why Football is more than 'just a game' to millions of people across the world. Similarly to the way Cycling is not 'just a means of transport' for millions of people.
That's a really interesting comment. As an avid football fan, I agree with you - except maybe, just maybe, we could introduce some technology for goal-line clearances so that we get an instant decision with no disruption.

I would love to see my team Sheff Utd reach an FA Cup final in my lifetime. Been to see them in 2 semis and that feeling of being so close yet falling at the last hurdle is heart-breaking, but there will be other highs and lows and that's what makes the game so great.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
That's a really interesting comment. As an avid football fan, I agree with you - except maybe, just maybe, we could introduce some technology for goal-line clearances so that we get an instant decision with no disruption.

I would love to see my team Sheff Utd reach an FA Cup final in my lifetime. Been to see them in 2 semis and that feeling of being so close yet falling at the last hurdle is heart-breaking, but there will be other highs and lows and that's what makes the game so great.

especially considering the team that won eh? still, at least arsenal saved you the indignity of seeing the cup head over to hillsborough…

Will1985

Über Member
That was a shameful representation of modern football - diving, dirty fouling and arguing. In my mind Chelsea are one of the worst teams for complaining and harassing the ref - ban them all or ban them from Europe and see what they do then.

Anelka's dive has to be one of the most blatant this season. I don't think even Ronaldo could beat that one!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Slightly off topic... but instances of Swine Flu in the UK have risen dramatically in the last few hours. Apparently there are about 50,000 pig sick Chelsea fans in and around the country.

Watch your fingers in the door as it closes.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Will1985 said:
That was a shameful representation of modern football - diving, dirty fouling and arguing. In my mind Chelsea are one of the worst teams for complaining and harassing the ref - ban them all or ban them from Europe and see what they do then.

Anelka's dive has to be one of the most blatant this season. I don't think even Ronaldo could beat that one!

They are, and one could argue that the attitude and trend in the game over the last few years is now going the other way, where ref's are actaully 'punishing' these playes subconciously for their reputations/actions in previous games or at earlier stages of the same game. Where an out and out 'honest' striker may get the benefit of the doubt a renowned diver may well get ignored, like a boy who cried wolf scenario.

Alex Ferguson made a comment a while back in a game where many bad decisions went against them (for a change :biggrin::ohmy: ) he said basically that the ref was reacting to press coverage of united being the 'luckiest' team with many dodgy reffing decisions going in their favour.

Not convinced, but he may have a point.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think, as a neutral, I would rather watch Man U - Barca in the final than another Premiership replay... they also happen to be two of the best attacking sides in Europe.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
:biggrin:

Top Bottom