chelsea-barça

who will go through

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
I would hope Drogba will face suitable punishment for his child like outburst.

yello

johnnyh said:
I would hope Drogba will face suitable punishment for his child like outburst.

In all likelihood, I think he will. Not got a good track record has he?

I reckon it's tough on sportsmen. They have to give their all and then are expected to behave like perfect gentlemen loosers. It can't be easy to reign it in at times of high emotion.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm still aghast at the refereeing. Take a breath and think the unthinkable. If he was bent he wouldn't be the first. Olympique Marseille, anybody?

albal

Guru
agree with ilovebikes; the ref had a shocker 2 pen denied, which he had clear view of. My team play sat 1245.

Maz

Guru
I will be wearing my hi-viz Barcelona away shirt on the ride to work tomorrow!
nike-barcelona-away-shirt-05-06-.jpg

Perhaps if the Chelsea team had stopped diving he might have awarded one of those penalties. Drogba goes down like a sack of spuds anytime a defender goes near him, and others seem to be getting influenced by this approach. Thankfully one diver won't be in Rome.. now hopefully Ronaldo will pick up an injury before then too. At least now I might watch the final.. but the prospect of the game being won for the best play acting really didn't entice me.

Tel

Veteran
Bugger that I was on track to win £36 if Chelsea won oh well at least I didn't lose anything...

Footies only exciting if you got money on it :biggrin:

yello

rich p said:
I'd have more sympathy for Chelsea if they hadn't played like a non league club meeting Man Utd in the FA Cup.

I've been thinking about this and I reckon you're right. I do think their tactics were wrong. I think Huddink/Hiddunk/whatever his name is sold Chelsea short. They do have talented and creative players, they just weren't allowed off the defensive leash. It's almost as if HidHud didn't think Chelsea were capable of beating Barcelona playing their own game.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
yello said:
I've been thinking about this and I reckon you're right. I do think their tactics were wrong. I think Huddink/Hiddunk/whatever his name is sold Chelsea short. They do have talented and creative players, they just weren't allowed off the defensive leash. It's almost as if HidHud didn't think Chelsea were capable of beating Barcelona playing their own game.

I think that Chelsea were always playing a risky strategy by playing so negative in the 1st leg which in the end cost them this tie. They only have themselves to blame which is a shame as I think it would have been great for English football to have had the 2 finalists again.

U

User482

dellzeqq said:
absolutely correct. What can you say? You almost feel sorry for them.

Man U will take them apart

In the first leg, Barca had a clear penalty turned down, and Ballack should have been sent off. And in the second leg, the Barca sending off was extremely harsh. So forgive me if I don't feel too sorry for Chelsea - they had plenty of controversial decisions go their way over the two legs.

What goes around, comes around.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Surely thats what makes the game so exciting... it is heartbreaking when you lose in a bad/unfair way, but football is a sport that has not been ruined by panels of referees in a box somewhere watching video replays to decide whether its a goal or a penalty and the stop/start disruption that comes with it.

So when the element of human error/misjudgement affects a result like this you have to take it on the chin, happens to all teams in both favours at some point (except maybe Man U :biggrin: ). But its the highs and lows of the game which is why Football is more than 'just a game' to millions of people across the world. Similarly to the way Cycling is not 'just a means of transport' for millions of people.

redjedi

Über Member
It's always hard losing in injury time, but you can't blame the ref.

Perhaps if Chelsea had attacked more, and Drogba had scored when he had the chance then they would have gone through.

Barca played up to the whistle and took their chance when it finally came.

Hopefully Barca will play better in the final.

Top Bottom