Cheshire cycle route wanted (road bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My mate is the landlord at The Dog. It was originally called The Gay Dog until the seventies but that was changed as the nature of the word had changed. The urban myth is that it was due to a bus load of male German tourists arriving who had got the wrong end of the stick.

Origamist

Legendary Member
My mate is the landlord at The Dog. It was originally called The Gay Dog until the seventies but that was changed as the nature of the word had changed. The urban myth is that it was due to a bus load of male German tourists arriving who had got the wrong end of the stick.

Is that the pub where we sat outside and had a burger!

Freds Dad

Veteran
As a few have already said lots of flat routes South of Knutsford. I cycle around the Lower Withington, Goostrey and Marton areas and always try to cycle past Jodrell Bank RT.
Some are still a bit muddy but can be tackled with care.

davdandy

Hi Dave7,you are only up t`road from me,i live in Lowton.

We regulary go to Dunham,Knutsford,Wilmslow etc etc.Try going over Warby bridge and head towards High Legh,then scoot across the road there are keep heading forward.Nice roads out there and you will soon clock up the miles.

Come over to our FB page if you want and have a natter .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/leighrevolution/

justkeeppedaling

Hi Dave
Have you thought about heading north up yo Rivington and the across towards Rufford you could easily make a route up and even stretch to southport without touching a major road. I am riding up to RIvington on Sunday from the east lancs and it's a nice route.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi Dave7,you are only up t`road from me,i live in Lowton.

We regulary go to Dunham,Knutsford,Wilmslow etc etc.Try going over Warby bridge and head towards High Legh,then scoot across the road there are keep heading forward.Nice roads out there and you will soon clock up the miles.

Come over to our FB page if you want and have a natter .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/leighrevolution/
Thank you for the "heads up".....I did go over Warby Bridge and I got as far as Dunham Massey but that only clocked up 4 miles......hence wanting ideas.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi Dave
Have you thought about heading north up yo Rivington and the across towards Rufford you could easily make a route up and even stretch to southport without touching a major road. I am riding up to RIvington on Sunday from the east lancs and it's a nice route.

I do know that area (from walking many years ago) but.....from memory it seems a bit hilly for my present physical state.

davdandy

Dave7,when you go over Warby bridge do not turn left to go to Dunham but carry on and head towards High Legh turning left at the Green Dragon pub and you pass the Willows tea rooms and reclamation yard,keep going forward.When you get there you can then turn left and head towrards Knutsford or Tatton park.Many differnt routes and plenty lanes if you know where they are that is.We just deviate form the main roads and follow our noses so to speak.Much further than 4 miles i assure you mate.

justkeeppedaling

I do know that area (from walking many years ago) but.....from memory it seems a bit hilly for my present physical state.
If you go up the rainford bypass towards parbold and then onto rufford and southport that should give you between 50-70 miles, it's all flat and there are some lovely quite country lanes. I've done that route about 6 times and can link you a route if you need it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you go up the rainford bypass towards parbold and then onto rufford and southport that should give you between 50-70 miles, it's all flat and there are some lovely quite country lanes. I've done that route about 6 times and can link you a route if you need it.

That would be much appreciated. I assume the Rainford bypass has a cycle lane as I do not want to be cycling on dual carriage ways:smile:

justkeeppedaling

That would be much appreciated. I assume the Rainford bypass has a cycle lane as I do not want to be cycling on dual carriage ways:smile:
Something like this Dave should do the job, sorry it's only a pic and not the actual route but I am useless on this ipad. But you get the idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom