Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I made the mistake once of cycling down the loop line on a Saturday at 9am!! It was a bit scary. And I got told off by the runners who recognised me the next time they saw me. :blush:
That's a bit off, given that it is officially a shared path... It is obviously a good idea to give it a miss when you know the run is on but they can't insist on it, unless they have some bylaw giving exclusive access at those times!

Katherine

Guru
That's a bit off, given that it is officially a shared path... It is obviously a good idea to give it a miss when you know the run is on but they can't insist on it, unless they have some bylaw giving exclusive access at those times!
They're very friendly really!
It's only for the first 10 minutes when they're in a bunch and they always shout out bike when they see one.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is probably a good idea to have an earlier start anyway because it means we will get home at a more reasonable time. The great thing about the direct train is that we won't have to set off ridiculously early. It will be 07:20 for me from Todmorden.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've ridden through them with no issues,its just a case of being patient.To be honest the worst culprits on that route are some dog owners and bloody kids on phones !!
I had a rollerblader wearing earphones going in the same direction as me so he couldn't hear or see me coming. He was meandering fairly predictably so I timed my overtake on one side to be when he had ended up on the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Time to start drawing up a list of prospective riders (and their start/finish points)...
  • ColinJ (Walkden)
  • Littgull (Walkden)
  • Vantage (Walkden)
  • GuyBoden (Dunham)
  • Domus (Dunham)
  • skudupnorth (Walkden?)
  • Pennine-Paul (Dunham)
  • Katherine (Walkden)
Cheshire's roads have room for several more riders, so 'come on down'! :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm a definite colin.:okay: I'll meet you at Walkden.
Whether I manage to keep up or indeed, finish the ride isn't quite so definite. :blush:
If you're ok with it, you can give me your number (which will go no further) and if I start holding up the ride and can't catch up to you, I'll head back on my own and text you to let you know.
Excellent!

If you are okay with the distance, then you should be okay with the pace because we do tend to maintain a pretty low average speed.

I will hand out my number the day before the ride to everyone who doesn't already have it, but you shouldn't find yourself in the situation of disappearing off the back - somebody should be riding with you to make sure you are okay!

Obviously, if you did decide that you'd had enough then turning back would be an option but if you get as far as the marina cafe then you would be almost halfway round so you might as well continue?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Can find School Lane but not the B6150, is it not the B5160?
I can't think how I did that because I double-checked the number before typing it... :wacko:

Anyway, yes - up School Lane, not far from the B5160! Near the oak tree ...

Dunham meeting place.jpg

Top Bottom