Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the risk of getting a reputation, Winsford does have a spoons with good outdoor seating.

Pic from last two weeks passing through - I was sat inside shooting through the window - though the wifi also works outside.

(service a bit wonky and poor beer selection when I was there though)

IMG_20190605_182657.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At the risk of further route deviations resulting in a slapping from Colin, is there any reason to be going north on Black Moss Road from Oldfield Brow instead of straight through the estate and onto Dunham Town along Oldfield Lane?
That bit of the route originated from nickyboy's Llandudno route out of Manchester. As it happens, I rode along Oldfield Lane in the opposite direction on the way back from doing the first half of this year's Llandudno ride and was surprised at how twisty and narrow it is, and the fact that it climbs and descends as much as it does. I think the slightly longer but flatter route is a better option for a group of us.

My only suggestion to the route would be to avoid busy Winsford, I've been cycling (slowly) around Cheshire since a teenager and know it quite well, so maybe an alternative would be to use the quieter Whitegate, Clay lane, Little Budworth, Oulton Park route instead.
I normally avoid busy towns too but there is a VERY good reason why my route includes Winsford... :whistle:

Cycle.travel suggested a route through Middlewich and Winsford including quite a bit of canal towpath. I looked at pictures of that towpath and decided that it was not a good option, so I modified the route to use roads and chose what looked like some of the quieter roads available through Winsford and checked those on Streetview.

What I totally forgot to do was to check what looked like a much better alternative via Whitegate, Clay lane, Little Budworth, Oulton Park... :laugh:

I had spotted it but got distracted! I'll change the route. It makes it about 5 km longer but that is a price well worth paying

At the risk of getting a reputation, Winsford does have a spoons with good outdoor seating.

Pic from last two weeks passing through - I was sat inside shooting through the window - though the wifi also works outside.

(service a bit wonky and poor beer selection when I was there though)

View attachment 471215
Ha ha, you and your 'spoons!

We will be missing out Winsford now, but we like the marina cafe so we would have stuck to that anyway.

I'll get to work updating the ride details ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The first post has now been updated. There is a new map, and a new GPX file for the main loop. I have changed the figures to include the extra distance.

Hopefully, that will be the definitive route.

NB If anybody spots any problems (e.g. last minute road closures) please let me know!

Katherine

Guru
The ride from Walkden station to Dunham is on the Roe Green Loopline (a lovely wooded cycleway with an excellent surface) and the Bridgewater canal towpath (which also has an excellent surface on that stretch). Both are suitable for any bike. Note though that we will descend some steep steps to the Loopline from the road above. (There is a gutter beside the steps to help guide bikes up/down.)

I know of a few entry points that can be ridden down Colin. One is by the side of the Leisure centre on Bridgewater road and the other is on Walkden Road as you would enter Parr Fold park.

Definitely Parr Fold Park!

Katherine

Guru
I remember seeing a few paths off to the right and left but didn't know where they went so I stuck to using the steps when I went up the loopline.
I described the steps to you for your return after Nickyboy's ride, because you told me that your route took you off the loop line at Roe Green.
But this time, I was intending to show the better slope in the park. Sounds like Skudupnorth is thinking the same thing.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I described the steps to you for your return after Nickyboy's ride, because you told me that your route took you off the loop line at Roe Green.
But this time, I was intending to show the better slope in the park. Sounds like Skudupnorth is thinking the same thing.
I had forgotten to remove the warning about the steps, but have now done so.

I'm looking forward to the ride. Let's hope we get a nice warm sunny day for it, but not TOO hot - 18-22(-ish) degrees with a gentle breeze would be perfect.

**** Would anybody else care to add their name to the list? ****

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Anyone who has not had the pleasure of the Ventian Marina, you are in for a lovely treat. I was there with the family on Sunday ( it has become our favourite haunt) and the food is well priced and very good. I have the big breakfast which is just over £6 with a pot of tea and i struggled to eat it !!
DSCN3411.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Free iPhone X case...

Hi Colin - Do you still have this? I'm not sure when I'm next on a forum ride but I'd happily ride over to pick it up!

Yes, it is still available @mythste - this ride might be a bit slow for you but you'd be welcome to join us. Alternatively, you could pop along to Walkden station first thing to meet me for the handover, and then do your own thing?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast is that the current nice spell might start to fizzle out by Saturday. Hopefully, that won't be the case, but if it looks like rain I might ride my mudguard-equipped CX bike instead of my mudguard-free singlespeed bike.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Unfortunately my health is getting worse these days. I'll ride with you as far as Dunham Town. From there I'll wish you all good luck and then ride home from there.
Safe to say, long rides are well and truly over for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Unfortunately my health is getting worse these days. I'll ride with you as far as Dunham Town. From there I'll wish you all good luck and then ride home from there.
I'm sorry to hear about your poor health, but pleased that you can join us for the ride out to Dunham.

Sorry to hear this vantage. Take care.

Top Bottom