Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Can find School Lane but not the B6150, is it not the B5160?
It’s the centre of Dunham Town which no more than a village with big aspersions :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I’m provisional for Walkden start depending on what my results are from the big hospital :ohmy: Mind you if it’s rubbish news I might as well go out with a bang :laugh:
Well, lets hope it is great news so you can celebrate!

I couldn't help but notice we'd be passing by Great Budworth ice cream farm :whistle:^_^
I just took a look at their website, liked what I saw, and have taken an executive decision to make that our second stop instead of Weaverham. That means we can head straight to Acton Bridge.

The ice cream farm is open until 17:30 rather than 16:00 so that will ease any time pressure on us. I have been to Weaverham quite a few times but never been to the farm. In fact, I hadn't even heard of it so this is its chance to stake its claim for future Cheshire rides.

I'll update the details in the first post ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The map now shows anticlockwise round Beeston Castle, avoids Weaverham, and includes a short diversion to the farm cafe. The GPX file for the Cheshire loop has also been updated.

The changes cut 3 km (2 miles) from the total distance.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The ice cream farm was a control on my last Audax.
Hopefully, it was a n-ice place for a control? (and for us to stop at.) :laugh:

We went to a Yorkshire ice cream farm near Skipton on one of my rides and it was BAD news! We got told off for where we left our bikes and then there were laminated notices on every table warning us of dire consequences if we dared to fill our bottles from a tap. I'm not kidding - the gist was... "Look 'ere you lot - we are a business. We are here to make a profit from you, not to give water away. You can buy [expensive!] bottled water from our shop!" We will not be going back to that establishment...

GuyBoden

Guru
It’s the centre of Dunham Town which no more than a village with big aspersions :laugh:
image-0-1024x1024.jpg

The big tree, Dunham Massey.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
The ride from Walkden station to Dunham is on the Roe Green Loopline (a lovely wooded cycleway with an excellent surface) and the Bridgewater canal towpath (which also has an excellent surface on that stretch). Both are suitable for any bike. Note though that we will descend some steep steps to the Loopline from the road above. (There is a gutter beside the steps to help guide bikes up/down.)

I know of a few entry points that can be ridden down Colin. One is by the side of the Leisure centre on Bridgewater road and the other is on Walkden Road as you would enter Parr Fold park.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The ride from Walkden station to Dunham is on the Roe Green Loopline (a lovely wooded cycleway with an excellent surface) and the Bridgewater canal towpath (which also has an excellent surface on that stretch). Both are suitable for any bike. Note though that we will descend some steep steps to the Loopline from the road above. (There is a gutter beside the steps to help guide bikes up/down.)

I know of a few entry points that can be ridden down Colin. One is by the side of the Leisure centre on Bridgewater road and the other is on Walkden Road as you would enter Parr Fold park.
Well, whichever is closest to the station!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
At the risk of further route deviations resulting in a slapping from Colin, is there any reason to be going north on Black Moss Road from Oldfield Brow instead of straight through the estate and onto Dunham Town along Oldfield Lane?

GuyBoden

Guru
At the risk of further route deviations resulting in a slapping from Colin, is there any reason to be going north on Black Moss Road from Oldfield Brow instead of straight through the estate and onto Dunham Town along Oldfield Lane?

Charcoal Rd at the end of Oldfield Lane is one way, so you miss the Dunham big tree.

Top Bottom