Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The forecast is still looking poor so I am going to devise a shortcut in case we need/want to reduce the total distance.

I have a suggestion. Yes?

Untitled.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha ha!

If we do shorten the route then the Marina cafe would have to be sacrificed. (It is close to halfway so it wouldn't be much of a shortcut if we still called in there!) We could instead call in at the Devonshire cafe in Weaverham that nickyboy uses on his Llandudno ride. I would probably then skip the currently planned second stop.

Let's see how it goes. I'll post a couple of route variations so we can have them on our GPS devices, just in case.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ok, I have worked out a couple of shortcuts in case rain stops reduces play!

Full route as originally planned: 171 km (106 miles) from Walkden; 125 km (77 miles) from Dunham; stops at Venetian Marina, 79 km (49 miles) from Walkden, 56 km (35 miles) from Dunham PLUS at Great Budworth ice cream farm cafe, 132 km (82 miles) from Walkden, 109 km (68 miles) from Dunham.

Slightly shortened route***. This is still a metric century for those riding from Dunham and near enough to an imperial century that Littgull and I (or anyone else wanting to do the full distance) can add the extra back on later elsewhere: Shortcut from Oulton Park to Willington Corner, otherwise original route; 151 km (94 miles) from Walkden, 105 km (65 miles) from Dunham; ONE stop only at a farm shop cafe I found at Utkinton, 73 km (45 miles) from Walkden, 50 km (31 miles) from Dunham.

Dramatically shortened route in case of biblical storms. This is well over a metric century for those riding from Walkden: Shortcut from Moulton to Acton Bridge via Weaverham, otherwise original route; 120 km (75 miles) from Walkden, 74 km (46 miles) from Dunham; ONE stop only at Devonshire Bakery cafe/shop in Weaverham, 73 km (45 miles) from Walkden, 50 km (31 miles) from Dunham.

Here's a rough map with the shortcuts added...

Cheshire forum ride 2019 with shortcuts.png

I have attached GPX files for the shortcuts indicated on the map.

I'm hoping that we don't have to cut the route at all, but we won't know how we feel until we are out there and see what the sky is up to! :whistle:

*** This shortcut involves climbing above most of the surrounding countryside so it would NOT be a good choice if we encounter thunderstorms. If we get as far as Oulton Park and thunderstorms roll in, let's stick to 'Plan A', but get to the marina ASAP and hide from them! :laugh:

Attachments

• Budworth Utkinton Willington.gpx
    2.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Moulton Weaverham Acton Bridge.gpx
    3 KB · Views: 9
Ok, I have worked out a couple of shortcuts in case rain stops reduces play!

Full route as originally planned: 171 km (106 miles) from Walkden; 125 km (77 miles) from Dunham; stops at Venetian Marina, 79 km (49 miles) from Walkden, 56 km (35 miles) from Dunham PLUS at Great Budworth ice cream farm cafe, 132 km (82 miles) from Walkden, 109 km (68 miles) from Dunham.

Slightly shortened route***. This is still a metric century for those riding from Dunham and near enough to an imperial century that Littgull and I (or anyone else wanting to do the full distance) can add the extra back on later elsewhere: Shortcut from Oulton Park to Willington Corner, otherwise original route; 151 km (94 miles) from Walkden, 105 km (65 miles) from Dunham; ONE stop only at a farm shop cafe I found at Utkinton, 73 km (45 miles) from Walkden, 50 km (31 miles) from Dunham.

Dramatically shortened route in case of biblical storms. This is well over a metric century for those riding from Walkden: Shortcut from Moulton to Acton Bridge via Weaverham, otherwise original route; 120 km (75 miles) from Walkden, 74 km (46 miles) from Dunham; ONE stop only at Devonshire Bakery cafe/shop in Weaverham, 73 km (45 miles) from Walkden, 50 km (31 miles) from Dunham.

Here's a rough map with the shortcuts added...

View attachment 476018

I have attached GPX files for the shortcuts indicated on the map.

I'm hoping that we don't have to cut the route at all, but we won't know how we feel until we are out there and see what the sky is up to! :whistle:

*** This shortcut involves climbing above most of the surrounding countryside so it would NOT be a good choice if we encounter thunderstorms. If we get as far as Oulton Park and thunderstorms roll in, let's stick to 'Plan A', but get to the marina ASAP and hide from them! :laugh:

Good work on the bad weather shortcuts, Colin.

Current forecast looks considerably better than what it showed 24 hours ago. It's looking like the possibility of thunder and lightning has greatly receded and also the likelihood of us getting a soaking in heavy showers has now shifted to early on in the ride with it brightening up after that. I can certainly live with that!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Good work on the bad weather shortcuts, Colin.

Current forecast looks considerably better than what it showed 24 hours ago. It's looking like the possibility of thunder and lightning has greatly receded and also the likelihood of us getting a soaking in heavy showers has now shifted to early on in the ride with it brightening up after that. I can certainly live with that!
Yes - the forecast was looking dire, so I thought we needed a 'Plan B' and I decided that a 'Plan C' wouldn't hurt either...

Let's hope that the bad weather stays away for most of the ride!

kapelmuur

Veteran
Did you know that tomorrow is the last day of the RHS Tatton Park flower show?. That will generate a lot of traffic at both ends of the day especially at the crossroads in Ashley by the Greyhound pub.

Also Cicely Mill Lane/New Lane from Bucklow Hill to Rostherne is closed for the duration of the show.

In my experience there's a lot of extra traffic on usually quiet lanes as people use sat navs to find short cuts, so be careful out there!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, the forecast has improved dramatically - I might be riding the singlespeed after all! The satellite pictures today showed a huge band of rain cloud coming over today, which is why we've got a good soaking up here. There look to be a few light rain clouds over Manchester/Cheshire first thing tomorrow and then things clear up. There are more big clouds out over the Atlantic but they should not get here until Sunday. Fingers crossed, eh?

Did you know that tomorrow is the last day of the RHS Tatton Park flower show?. That will generate a lot of traffic at both ends of the day especially at the crossroads in Ashley by the Greyhound pub.
Drat! There doesn't seem to be an alternative to using that crossroads without making a major detour so I think we are stuck with it.

Also Cicely Mill Lane/New Lane from Bucklow Hill to Rostherne is closed for the duration of the show.
We are coming back through Hoo Green but not going to Rostherne so hopefully we won't have a problem. :whistle:

In my experience there's a lot of extra traffic on usually quiet lanes as people use sat navs to find short cuts, so be careful out there!
We will be - cheers!

kapelmuur

Veteran
@ColinJ, I avoid Ashley crossroads by taking Sunbank Lane from Hale Barns, then following Wilmslow Road through the airport tunnels, up to a right turn for Morley Green, then right again on to the road to Warford and
Ollerton.

It’s cycle paths alongside Wilmslow Road and they’re narrow, but comfortable for a small group.

Top Bottom