Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My annual forum ride in Cheshire is fast approaching, taking place this year on Saturday, 20th July. It used to be 200 kms but I have decided to reduce it to just over an imperial century this year.

We chat as we ride along and won't drop anyone, but we do want to get home in daylight (!), so please have a serious think about whether you can ride the distance involved at an overall average speed including stops of (say) 16 kms/hr (10 miles/hr).

It is a pretty flat route though there are a few lumpy bits in the Cheshire loop. Nothing too long and severe though, so I will be riding my trusty singlespeed bike.

The full route is 170 kms (106 miles). This starts and finishes at Walkden railway station. If that is not convenient for you (or you would prefer a shorter ride), we will be riding through Dunham Town (Altrincham) twice so you could meet us there in the morning and leave us there when we get back late afternoon. The Dunham-Dunham loop in Cheshire is 124 km (77 miles).

@Littgull and I aim to arrive at Walkden by train from Todmorden/Littleborough at 08:15 and set off as soon as possible after that. If you are coming in on a different train, please choose an earlier one!

The ride from Walkden station to Dunham is on the Roe Green Loopline (a lovely wooded cycleway with an excellent surface) and the Bridgewater canal towpath (which also has an excellent surface on that stretch). Both are suitable for any bike.

The FLAT outward leg is 23.6 km (14.5 miles). I estimate that we will take about 75 minutes to get to Dunham, so we aim to be setting off from there at 09:30. If meeting us there, please arrive by 09:20. We will meet in front of the famous old Oak tree on School Lane, just before the B5160.

The Cheshire loop will now include 2 cafe stops (@Domus! :okay:). Stop #1 is at Venetian Marina on the Shropshire Union canal near Cholmondeston. That comes at 56 km (35 miles) into the loop. Stop #2 is at Great Budworth ice cream farm [NB That closes at 5:30 pm so we shouldn't have a problem getting there in time]. That comes at 108 km (67 miles). Obviously, if you are starting in Walkden, factor in the extra distance when deciding how much food and drink to carry with you.

The main loop passes though Dunham, Ashley, Mobberley, Ollerton, Lower Peover, Lach Dennis, Davenham, and Moulton, then a short length of possibly slightly rough byway to a footbridge over the River Weaver. From there, we continue through Whitegate, Little Budworth and Wettenhall to cafe stop #1.

After a break hopefully not exceeding 45 minutes or so, we continue to Bunbury, Beeston Castle, Clotton, Kelsall, Delamere Forest, Acton Bridge, and Comberbach to stop #2 at Great Budworth.

The ride back from Great Budworth is via Hoo Green, and Little Bollington to Dunham.

We will be riding back to Walkden by an alternative FLAT route based on a suggestion by @Katherine, though I modified the end of it slightly. Our 22.5 km (14 mile) return leg: Dunham, Carrington, Flixton, Irlam Locks to get over the Ship Canal, then a cycle path beside the A57 to Peel Green, under the M60, then Port Salford Greenway to Patricroft, 1 km on the Bridgewater towpath and then the Loopline back up to Walkden.

I have attached 3 GPX files Walkden-canal-Dunham, Dunham-Marina-Dunham 2019, Dunham-A57-Walkden.

Here is a rough map:

Cheshire forum ride 2019.png

If you are interested, sign up below...

Attachments

• Dunham-A57-Walkden.gpx
    9.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Walkden-canal-Dunham.gpx
    4.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Dunham-Marina-Dunham 2019.gpx
    26.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Oooooooooooooh I might be able to do this!
I'll bring a tow rope incase when I start lagging behind.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Don't worry - we don't rush! With all the stops, I took nearly 11 hours to do 107 miles out there last Saturday so roughly 10 mph average speed overall.

It could go something like this: Imperial century riders Leave Walkden at 08:15. Meet other riders at Dunham at 09:30. Arrive back at Dunham 17:00-ish. Back to Walkden 18:15-ish?

We might speed up a bit if everybody felt comfortable doing so, but I'm happy to take all day as long as the weather is favourable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@Katherine has pointed out that there is a weekly 'Park Run' on the Roe Green Loopline starting at 09:00. It would be a good idea for us to have cleared the path before the typical 260-odd runners are on it so @Littgull and I will now aim to arrive on the 08:15 train at Walkden. I have edited the times in the first post accordingly.

More riders wanted - sign up below! :hello:

Yes, I'd be up for it,I can get the train to Hale and then a short ride over to Dunham from there....

@Katherine has pointed out that there is a weekly 'Park Run' on the Roe Green Loopline starting at 09:00. It would be a good idea for us to have cleared the path before the typical 260-odd runners are on it so @Littgull and I will now aim to arrive on the 08:15 train at Walkden. I have edited the times in the first post accordingly.

Well spotted @Katherine. No problems Colin, an earlier train will be fine.

I cycled that loopline on my ride to Crewe the other day - very nice. Had a small altercation with a cyclist - clearly not just London cyclists that can be a bit hyper :smile:

(of course it could have been someone from here)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
T

They are run from the Monton end and it can get a bit busy along with dog walkers

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I cycled that loopline on my ride to Crewe the other day - very nice. Had a small altercation with a cyclist - clearly not just London cyclists that can be a bit hyper :smile:
How strange - there seemed plenty of room to me!

T

They are run from the Monton end and it can get a bit busy along with dog walkers
There were quite a few dog walkers and parents with small children when I rode up there a few weeks ago. That was okay but it says on the Park Run site that the runs average about 260 runners. That could be an accident waiting to happen!

Top Bottom