Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I got absolutely everything ready so I don't have to mess about at 06:00.

I settled in front of the TV but felt uneasy. Went back out to my bag and realised that I had forgotten to put my wallet in there, and to replace the 25C spare tubes with my 35C spares. All done now.

See you in the morning.
Have a safe ride, just gutted I cannot make it especially being so local.Work spoils all the fun

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have a safe ride, just gutted I cannot make it especially being so local.Work spoils all the fun
Well, Littgull and I are riding out your way a lot more now since we discovered the frequent cheap direct trains through Walkden/Wigan etc. on the Southport line. I can make most Saturdays so it is just a case of finding one which suits you and Brian.

Right... I had better get moving. Will post again from the train in case any of today's riders check in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mini tornado on this manor on Friday.

Hope you avoided the debris.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49056393

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Absolutely gutted is an understatement not being able to come out and play today. Hope the trails and Bridgewater Way were good to you all. Colin’s rides are stuff of legend so I hope to be out with him soon..... Season of the Mists Audax maybe ?

Domus

Guru
My first Colin ride but definitely not my last, a good route, good café and good company. Sorry I missed saying goodbye to Guy, I was pushing on at the front when he turned for home and did not hear the shout. Thanks to Colin for a great day out and Brian and Guy for their excellent company.
The Wahoo behaved perfectly all day, very much a good decision to replace the Garmin.

GuyBoden

Guru
Excellent day out, weather was mostly dry.

Big thanks to Colin for the organising the ride.

Thanks to everyone for the good company on the ride.

I'm just glad to be back on my bike after tearing my right ankle ligaments last year.

I do hope those penny farthing riders stayed upright all day...........:tongue:

This was yet another fantastic ride and day out on the bikes. You are so right Steve (@skudupnorth, @ColinJ rides and routes are total masterclass. Many thanks Colin for all the effort and planning you put into it.

It was great company, banter, and scenery. Good to meet Peter (@Domus) and ride with him for the first time and always a pleasure to ride with Guy (@GuyBoden) too. Also good to meet @Katherine and @Vantage for the first time who rode the initial 15 miles from Walkden to Dunham with Colin and me where we met Guy and Peter. We had 3 separate periods of heavy showers in the morning but it didn't detract from our enjoyment at all. We soon dried out when the afternoon sun came out.Thankfully, no recurrence of the 'mini tornado' that @Pale Rider referred to but come to think of it there were a few fallen branches across some of the quiet lanes.

A few pics attached of our lunch stop (waiting for the food to arrive). From left to right @ColinJ, @Domus and @GuyBoden. Sorry none that include @Katherine and @Vantage who rode the first 15 miles with Colin and me. There wasn't really the opportunity for a photo shoot in that stretch as the Roe Green cycleway and towpath were busy (but delightful) and then on the 2 or 3 miles of road near Dunham we got caught in the first heavy shower.

Looking forward to riding with you all again in the near future.

Bikes parked at Venetian Marina.jpg
Lunch stop at Venetian Marina.jpg
View of Venetian Marina.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've missed the last few Colin rides for various reasons, but we seem to get more than our fair share of rain on the ones I have done.

Even his excellent route planning and ride leading cannot control the weather.

Top Bottom