England : Cheshire Cheshire Safari, 160 km, Sun 8th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I know what you mean about the forecast I want it to be really bad so I don't ride or nice .not this changeable stuff !! . Also having correct attire issues summer or winter kit ! .its still going to be warm so summer kit but thats not waterproof .Dosn't look bad enough to stop me though I will confirm my attendance sat afternoon before tea and pm you my mobile number for any problems Sunday . Hopefully see you all Sunday

I noticed that the weather forecast is heading the wrong way! :sad:

In some ways, it might not be quite bad enough ... I have a heavy duty Endura jacket which is good for heavy rain, but not brilliant in mild conditions because I overheat. Unless the forecast changes, I will have to wear that and unzip it as necessary.

I'll have the route on my GPS too so we should be ok with navigation. It would be pretty unlucky for both devices to pack up on the same ride! (But if somebody would care to print out the route sheet, it might be a good idea. Oh, and I will put the route on my phone too, although navigating with that would be awkward because I don't have a bar mount for it, and wouldn't use it in rain anyway.)

Yes - same mobile number as the Settle ride!

Forecast seems to shaping up for a dryish am and a mix of heavy and light rain from 12 noon with strongish crosswinds although it could change between now and Sunday. If it stays like that I'm still very much up for it. If it changed to a high likelihood of heavy rain and windy for most or all of the ride I think it would be worth reconsidering. Colin, I'll bring a spare printed route sheet.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Forecast seems to shaping up for a dryish am and a mix of heavy and light rain from 12 noon with strongish crosswinds although it could change between now and Sunday. If it stays like that I'm still very much up for it. If it changed to a high likelihood of heavy rain and windy for most or all of the ride I think it would be worth reconsidering. Colin, I'll bring a spare printed route sheet.
Yes, TBH I can put up with 50 miles worth of unpleasantness, but I think 100 miles worth of it would be a bit too much! Let's monitor the forecasts and make a final decision on Saturday?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@ColinJ - if it's rain later I'll probably do my best to get a shift on. The aim would be to meet you at the later joining point of the route and provide you with a tow back to the start for the last 40k.

How does that sound?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ - if it's rain later I'll probably do my best to get a shift on. The aim would be to meet you at the later joining point of the route and provide you with a tow back to the start for the last 40k.

How does that sound?
If the weather is quite bad but we still do the ride then I think you should do your own thing because hanging about for us wouldn't be much fun. I know that Littgull and I ride at about the same speed. Busdennis is quicker. I don't know about the others.

I wouldn't be offended if quicker riders wanted to crack on, but I would be happy to stick to the suggested 8 hour target even if I could do it quicker.

busdennis

Veteran
the 2 weather forecast's I check are giving indifferent forecasts but I think we can expect some rain at some part of the day. with the exception of persistent heavy rain I'm still in for a group ride of around 8 hours. will go with the consensus Saturday :rain:

My youngest has gone back into hospital with a suspected infection which probably means he's going to be in for at least 48 hours (takes that long for culturesto come back) so I'm probably not going to be able to make the Eureka :sad: I might have to see if I can do it as a perm , I can see all my rides being perms or Diy's this season to be honest .

Paul

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My youngest has gone back into hospital with a suspected infection which probably means he's going to be in for at least 48 hours (takes that long for culturesto come back) so I'm probably not going to be able to make the Eureka :sad: I might have to see if I can do it as a perm , I can see all my rides being perms or Diy's this season to be honest .

Paul
Good luck to your lad, Paul.

The forecast is awful for here tomorrow, but I think I had better go for a short ride to check that my Basso is working properly. It is my bad weather bike and I have hardly ridden it this year so it might need a bit of fettling. I am definitely NOT going to ride my Cannondale CAAD5 on Sunday.

busdennis

Veteran
Think I'm going to bail. the forecast for Scarborough is much better than Cheadle which makes the decision easier as their is no point driving 2+ hours for worse weather than at home. will check again later but carn't see it changing. To all that ride good luck

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have just been in touch with Brian (Littgull) and we have reluctantly decided that we are going to give the ride a miss - sorry!

I think I might be coming down with a cold and really didn't fancy the stress of a longish, wet and windy ride. I cycled a short distance round to my nephew's house this afternoon in light drizzle and didn't feel very good so that is a warning that I should take it easy for a few days. I got a bad cold last winter and it took me more than 2 months to get over it. (My illness-damaged lungs only seem to work at 75% efficiency at the best of times and it doesn't take much to make me feel quite wobbly.)

Apologies to those of you who are brave enough to go ahead and I hope that you avoid the worst conditions that are forecast. Some of those wind speeds look a bit dodgy so take care out there!

Very reluctantly, I've decided to give it a miss after seeing the latest forecast. A mix of heavy and light rain with strong winds that will mainly be crosswinds or headwinds would make a 100 mile ride too unpleasant to be enjoyable. I've just messaged @ColinJ as I was taking us there in my car but I think he shares my view regarding the weather. I've never considered myself a 'fairweathe'r cyclist as I cycle to work regularly in all weathers apart from dense fog and snow/ice. But that is only a total 20 mile round trip.

Good wishes to all those who are still doing the ride and hope to ride with you before too long on one of Colin's rides or another audax.

Top Bottom