Chest heart monitor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Are they really necessary? I used to use one but it doesn't work anymore so I now use my Garmin watch that also shows me my heart beat so I will stick to that.

D

Deleted member 26715

As usual the answer is depends, for me absolutely not, my heart tells me when enough is enough

Mo1959

Legendary Member
They do seem more accurate than the wrist based ones which can sometimes have weird blips for instance when they latch onto your cadence instead of heart rate when running. I find them slightly uncomfortable and have just got a Polar Verity Sense which you can wear around your upper or lower arm instead and, so far, seems to be working well and much more comfortable for me. As soon as I start my Garmin to exercise it picks it up.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
At our level I would say not but at elite and higher I'm sure there will be performance information gleaned from it.

I have friends who monitor all sorts of data when cycling. It's of great interest to them and does no harm. I still keep with them and often climb faster so I doubt there's any gain. I find one influence is when their chatting data it gives me the spur to sprint off the front or I seem to slow and drop off the back. 🤣

For me it's medically important. I've had a heart attack and brain haemorrhage. I know my HR for any given effort. If it were to fluctuate wildly I would take this as an indication I should take care.

My watch is always ten beats higher than the chest strap which is always within one beat of a manual pulse check. I always wear a strap.

bobzmyunkle

See DCRainmaker's reviews for comparisons of HR from wrist based devices and straps. What are you using the HR for? If your happy with the readings from your watch the chances are they're accurate enough.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As usual the answer is depends, for me absolutely not, my heart tells me when enough is enough

This one doesn't work for me. My HR is very low and even getting close to my maximum is extremely hard work. On a severe climb yes I get close but to hit it I'd be going up 16/17% or steeper.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
See DCRainmaker's reviews for comparisons of HR from wrist based devices and straps. What are you using the HR for? If your happy with the readings from your watch the chances are they're accurate enough.

Agreed. The important thing for me is understanding the norm and acting accordingly. If the figure is ten beats out it doesn't make much difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
This one doesn't work for me. My HR is very low and even getting close to my maximum is extremely hard work. On a severe climb yes I get close but to hit it I'd be going up 16/17% or steeper.

How do you know what your maximum is out of interest? Have you done tests in a lab?

How do you know what your maximum is out of interest? Have you done tests in a lab?

You don't need a lab - you can do it by yourself but better off with a pal there to motivate you/pick you up off the floor.

My wrist reading seems pretty decent but I still use my chest strap on longer rides. Force of habit.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Apple Watch matched the HR indicated on a recent hospital ECG and also during other monitoring in A&E previously. Can’t speak to other devices :smile:

My Apple Watch matched the HR indicated on a recent hospital ECG and also during other monitoring in A&E previously. Can’t speak to other devices :smile:

I've had a HRM for 30 years or more now ? I think the consumer versions are ECG accurate - especially at rest. If you're jiggling them round then they may miss a beat or two but I've never caught mine out when I've been taking my own pulse.

bobzmyunkle

My Apple Watch matched the HR indicated on a recent hospital ECG and also during other monitoring in A&E previously. Can’t speak to other devices
I think the accuracy of wrist based units tend to fare worst when cycling for some reason.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

The simplest is to note the highest one has ever reached but that can be a spike. I did once reach 177 at the top of Fleetmoss, a cat 3, 1.8 mile climb, avg 8% ramping to 18%. It was the third of the day, not a very accurate assessment.

The field test I've used is on a 3 or 4 minute climb with a ramp at the top. Have a 20 minute warm up, ride the hill as hard and fast as possible, descend and repeat twice, each time hitting the ramp as hard as possible. Take your max HR from this.

Mine is 162 but I don't often get beyond 155.

Top Bottom