Is cycling bad for the heart??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Am sure we all like a bit of GCN, buts not every day you can claim some fame of been the spouse of someone featured in a GCN feature video whilst going to work at the filming destination :smile:.

52772436825_d0f12b3fc5_c_d.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/cX4AUZEwyPI

Brandane

Legendary Member
Interesting; especially as a sufferer of atrial fibrillation. And featuring the famous Dr Gerry McCann too!
Thanks for posting.

presta

Guru
They acknowledge that you can obtain most of the health benefit from quite modest levels of exercise, well below that of a typical cycling enthusiast, but then later (11m20s) he seems to be implying that you have to choose between the health benefits and avoiding AF, as if you can't do both.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Acutally you have managed to miss the whole point. The latest research actually suggests otherwise, which is why BHF is funding research into the topic :smile:.

Read the research papers again, and look at the denominators used. Also look at intensity distributions and history of the AF cases. Then tell us how that applies to your person commuting to work by bike 5 days a week.

We are talking about AF risk amongst your average person who regularly rides a bike. Tell me what research shows that is higher than general population.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes you obviously know better than the BHF and Prof of Cardiology.....the Internet is a special place :smile:.

You’ve posted a video, perhaps share what they’ve said and based on what in actual peer reviewed research papers. That is what we should be paying attention to, not opinion or belief because someone is an “expert” in the heart. That doesn’t make them an expert in statistics which is what this claim you’ve made is about. Share the papers this is based on. You said latest, so must be 2022/23.

Remember you’ve said cycling, not those who do an extreme volume or extreme amounts of high intensity, but everyone who rides bikes, measured in hundreds of millions. Not just sampled from professional cyclists as that introduces a strong bias. You claim bhf and professor of cardiology say there is increased risk not matter how much cycling someone does or the mix of intensity or how many years they have done it. So where is the latest peer reviewed research papers saying this?

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
What I took from it is that they don't really know much about the connection between AF and over doing exercise, and that is why they are conducting research into it. News to me that there is a connection between alcohol consumption and AF.. Might be my misspent youth catching up with me. Too late to worry about that now!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Ming the Merciless You clearly know everything there is to know about the heart and AF, so I defer to your knowledge, maybe so should the BHF :smile:.

I am asking you to post the latest peer reviewed research you mentioned, with the claim that “All cycling, no matter the volume, intensity or number of years you do it, increases AF risk over general population”. It can’t be that hard because you’ve just mentioned the latest research indicates this. I don’t claim to know everything, but I do know the latest research I read in 2020 did not make this claim, and where there was increased risk there had to be decades of high volume and high intensity, and the sampled population all pretty much came from competitive cycling aka racing. Thus it didn’t apply to your everyday cyclist. You are claiming the research view changed; love to see this latest research you’ve read, that makes this claim.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
@Ming the Merciless As I've said, I defer to your expert knowledge on this topic, you clearly know something the BHF don't, so I would suggest you don't waste anymore time arguing with me on here but take your insight into the topic to the BHF :smile:.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
They acknowledge that you can obtain most of the health benefit from quite modest levels of exercise, well below that of a typical cycling enthusiast, but then later (11m20s) he seems to be implying that you have to choose between the health benefits and avoiding AF, as if you can't do both.

I don't think he said anything of the sort. It seems you're the one misinterpreting the message. The research is interested in understanding IF there is a relationship with AF and ultra endurance exercise. They have nothing to prove there is. I can't imagine many on here train to the level the researchers are interested in.

As a survivor of both heart attack and a brain aneurysm (precursor to a stroke) I'm 100% certain exercise has a huge impact on the individual's ability to overcome and recover from serious illness. I recall visiting the neurology nurse lead review five months after my episode. I was deeply distressed because i believed my life was over. The nurse walked round the table, hugged me and said " You realise 70% of patients don't survive and those who do take 18 months to achieve what you have in 5."

Today I'm 100% and banging out every mile I can

Top Bottom