Is cycling bad for the heart??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not sure it's the work that is damaging for miners (when did anyone last see a miner ?) - more the conditions and the lung illnesses they develop ?

Well we did have some not long ago but I mean any job with high physical activity, maybe farming, maybe garden maintenance. Anything where you are working very hard on a daily basis, digging, lifting etc. A very physical job. Maybe the navvies who worked on the Manchester Shipping Canal. Maybe someone delivering parcels as a fast pace with a lot of lifting.

Alex321

Veteran
Well we did have some not long ago but I mean any job with high physical activity, maybe farming, maybe garden maintenance. Anything where you are working very hard on a daily basis, digging, lifting etc. A very physical job. Maybe the navvies who worked on the Manchester Shipping Canal. Maybe someone delivering parcels as a fast pace with a lot of lifting.

There are conflicting results from studies.

From 2018
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-work-occupational-risks-idUSKCN1IW2Z3

But then from 2021
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-work-occupational-risks-idUSKCN1IW2Z3

The latter results suggest that the previous study probably wasn't controlling for other factors that are known to affect lifespan.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What you are asking for is that he post you the results of research that has only just started.

Which means that none of the conclusions the OP jumped to, can be made. But they were too backed into their corner to admit that. Hence no reply when I asked for where BHF or the latest research made these claims about AF.

Like you’ve now posted above, they are starting to research to see if there is a link with ultra endurance cycling That does not mean there is a link. It may even prove the opposite, that it lowers the risk. Even if it does prove increased risk in that circumstance, it does not prove any link to the everyday cycling that many on here undertake each day. The title and video are click bait, and misleading.

Plus we need to remember the denominator in ultra cycling. Tens of thousands take part in ultra cycling length distances every year. How big will their sample size be and how will it be controlled for and selected. Many a paper has been shown to have selection bias, poor controls, or too small a sample size to be meaningful; due to a poor understanding of statistical methods as not all scientists have an excellence grasp of the subject. Plus when it comes to probabilities as in risk, that’s a whole different branch within mathematics, some overlap, but the subject goes much much deeper. I’m happy to go with the overwhelming scientific evidence, but it should always be viewed with a critical eye 👁️, and not expanded beyond the particular circumstances it (has yet to) examined.

The mathematicians meanwhile, are too busy building our AI overlords (My degree is maths by the way).

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Which means that none of the conclusions the OP jumped to, can be made. But they were too backed into their corner to admit that. Hence no reply when I asked for where BHF or the latest research made these claims about AF.
I don't see any "conclusions jumped to" by the OP.

When he said the latest research suggests otherwise, that is not a conclusion, it is something which says research is needed - which he immediately proceeded to point out was being funded by the BHF.

All through the thread, you have been asking him for proof of something he never said.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I don't see any "conclusions jumped to" by the OP.

When he said the latest research suggests otherwise, that is not a conclusion, it is something which says research is needed - which he immediately proceeded to point out was being funded by the BHF.

All through the thread, you have been asking him for proof of something he never said.

business as usual

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
When he said the latest research suggests otherwise, that is not a conclusion, it is something which says research is needed

No, no and thrice no. Reread what he wrote, the BHF and professor know better and the latest research shows cyclists are at higher risk from AF. That’s exactly what he said if you read it in context. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been arguing with me, but agreeing in the current research position, of no higher risk of AF amongst people who cycle . He certainly did not say it was suggested research is needed which is entirely different. The BHF and professor would only know better if the “latest research” he vaguely referred to in his post, showed that. You can’t know better before the conclusion of the research unless you have a Time Machine !

Jameshow

Veteran
No, no and thrice no. Reread what he wrote, the BHF and professor know better and the latest research shows cyclists are at higher risk from AF. That’s exactly what he said if you read it in context. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been arguing with me, but agreeing in the current research position, of no higher risk of AF amongst people who cycle . He certainly did not say it was suggested research is needed which is entirely different. The BHF and professor would only know better if the “latest research” he vaguely referred to in his post, showed that. You can’t know better before the conclusion of the research unless you have a Time Machine !

Unless it's council consultations!🤣🤣🤣

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Re read what the OP wrote, it might help.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Re read what the OP wrote, it might help.

😂😂😂😂 - it does not change his arguing there’s an increased risk of AF for cyclists and apparently from latest research and the prof and BHF say so cause they know better! I love that you are trying to argue on his behalf, but in response to some basic questions I asked about his claim, he had no response other than silence.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
😂😂😂😂 - it does not change his arguing there’s an increased risk of AF for cyclists and apparently from latest research and the prof and BHF say so cause they know better! I love that you are trying to argue on his behalf, but in response to some basic questions I asked about his claim, he had no response other than silence.

ok then dont bother

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member

Because you are 100% correct.

Jameshow

Veteran
Problem is it's a bit hard to qualify ...

Does ultra riding cause heart problems? What is ultra riding? Century? Or RAAM?? What effect does alcohol have on AF or stress or even relationships....

I'd suggest tiredness is a greater issue tbh.

Top Bottom