Is cycling bad for the heart??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's certainly made me rest when I am not well. I have in the past pushed through with coughs, colds, sore throats etc.
I used to rush my recovery.

I had a similar problem on a local hill once. I'd had a very heavy cold for about a week and got back on my bike too soon after 'recovering'. In fact I was still very weak. I went into severe distress when trying to ride up the hill and realised that I was about to collapse so I dismounted, put my bike over a dry stone wall and then fell over the wall and collapsed unconscious into a pile of leaves on the other side! I woke up some time later drenched in sweat and shivering violently. I went home and back to bed. I left it a couple of weeks before trying again ... :whistle:
I kind of went off doing that...! :laugh:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I did several times, and he just came back with silence

Didn't you watch the video before responding?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Didn't you watch the video before responding?

Seriously, it’s GCN an entertainment video channel. The OP said the BHF and an unnamed professor of cardiology back his assertion. If that’s the case, it’ll be independent of GCN and their sometimes entertaining videos don’t you think? Take a video with a pinch of salt, as it’s not subject to the rigour and evidence required for the assertion. This is why it’s a favourite medium of conspiracy theorists.

vickster

Legendary Member
With Ming as well. TBH I’m struggling to actually understand the wording in the initial post!

I think it was just meant to be a brag that his wife is in a GCN video featuring the hospital he works in…maybe…rather than wishing to spark a debate about the assertions in the video

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Seriously, it’s GCN an entertainment video channel. The OP said the BHF and an unnamed professor of cardiology back his assertion. If that’s the case, it’ll be independent of GCN and their sometimes entertaining videos don’t you think? Take a video with a pinch of salt, as it’s not subject to the rigour and evidence required for the assertion. This is why it’s a favourite medium of conspiracy theorists.

There's your problem

Not a fan of GCN either but as the thread is about that video not watching it before wading in puts the blame entirely on you.

I'm guessing now you'll say you did as you failed to address it in that post. Same old story isn't it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There's your problem

Not a fan of GCN either but as the thread is about that video not watching it before wading in puts the blame entirely on you.

I'm guessing now you'll say you did as you failed to address it in that post. Same old story isn't it.

The argument was about what’s known about AF risk amongst cyclists vs. general population and is cycling bad for heart as per the title. It’s clear the OP would rather take what he’s seen in that video rather than the conclusions of the currently published research. Then argue the BHF and a professor of cardiology back his conclusion. But not back that up, when asked for links showing that.

Of course if you believe cycling is bad for your heart, you’d best stop now!

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The argument was about what’s known about AF risk amongst cyclists vs. general population and is cycling bad for heart as per the title. It’s clear the OP would rather take what he’s seen in that video rather than the conclusions of the currently published research. Then argue the BHF and a professor of cardiology back his conclusion. But not back that up, when asked for links showing that.

Of course if you believe cycling is bad for your heart, you’d best stop now!

Lol, mod-esty prevents me giving my honest opinion on that mess.

Fastpedaller

Further to my earlier note quoting my pal who said he would avoid all sports in case he got arthritis........ An update which indicates he somehow lacks logic :wacko:
He decided (and his son also) to do a parachute jump for charity - highly commendable, and you wouldn't catch me doing it...... I'd prefer to just give a donation. Anyway, they both did the (accompanied to an instructor) jump and said it was the greatest thing and they couldn't wait to do it again. Fast forward 6 months and my pal has met someone who did similar, but broke a foot on landing, so he's decided he won't do a jump again. I won't tell him about folks having car crashes or falling down stairs, otherwise he won't get out of bed!

Last edited:

YellowV2

Veteran
Acutally you have managed to miss the whole point. The latest research actually suggests otherwise, which is why BHF is funding research into the topic :smile:.

But the BHF research is in process as per the video. Quite clearly stated that the research is being carried out to find out IF there is any evidence to suggest otherwise. In any case this is looking at highly trained athletes not recreational athletes with is the majority of the general population.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Cycling - Great for the heart, bad for the wallet.

I would hope even on here no one could argue with that even if they tired.........would anyone even try :laugh:

6538-lion-tamer-putting-his-head-in-a-lion-s-mouth.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would hope even on here no one could argue with that even if they tired.........would anyone even try :laugh:
I definitely would argue with that! :okay:

I am 67 and have never owned a car. The total amount that I have spent on a lifetime of cycling (and bus and rail fares) is probably not much more than £20k. How much would it have cost to drive for 50 years? :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well if your gonna go, you are gonna go.

A colleague told me one of his friends just died on his bike. Regular cyclist, retired early, off on a cycling holiday in Mexico, dropped dead on the bike.

gavgav

Guru
I became symptomatic for a heart condition called Mahaim Fiber Tachycardia in 2010, not long after completing the Great North Run.

The consultant believed it was something I had from birth, but that the high intensity training and half marathon had changed the shape of my heart enough that it became symptomatic. His opinion, not mine, before anyone says anything!

If it was the reason, then I’m glad I did that training, as it meant I could be treated and remain symptom free ever since, otherwise who knows how it could have manifested in later life.

I have cycled lots since with no issues

Top Bottom