Is cycling bad for the heart??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A colleague told me one of his friends just died on his bike. Regular cyclist, retired early, off on a cycling holiday in Mexico, dropped dead on the bike.
I would much rather that than taking a year to die in a hospital bed, which is what happened to both of my parents.

Having said that, I would prefer to get home from my last ride, have a shower, a nice meal, watch a good film, go to bed and then die peacefully in my sleep!

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Friend on mine - reasonably keen keep-fitter, passed away while out on a leisurely Summer evening ride last year. At the ripe old age of just 50. They think he had underlying heart issues he wasn’t aware of.

As above - better to have 50 years carefree doing what you fancy - than 60 (?) worrying, getting treatment and not doing what you desire with a known ailment: in order to just to ‘hang it out’ a bit 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1258

I would much rather that than taking a year to die in a hospital bed, which is what happened to both of my parents.

Having said that, I would prefer to get home from my last ride, have a shower, a nice meal, watch a good film, go to bed and then die peacefully in my sleep!

Some years ago a cycling mate of mine dropped dead whilst cycling, he was in his sixties and had a dodgy ticker, they were riding home from the cafe, as they approached a junction he said to the friend he was riding with "I'm not feeling good I'm going to stop the other side of the junction", they crossed the junction then he pulled over and toppled from the bike, the ambulance man reckoned he was dead before he hit the floor. :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some years ago a cycling mate of mine dropped dead whilst cycling, he was in his sixties and had a dodgy ticker, they were riding home from the cafe, as they approached a junction he said to the friend he was riding with "I'm not feeling good I'm going to stop the other side of the junction", they crossed the junction then he pulled over and toppled from the bike, the ambulance man reckoned he was dead before he hit the floor. :sad:
That is pretty much what happened to Beryl Burton.

I was thinking about Burton's death when I posted above... From a selfish point of view, if it were that quick then one wouldn't know anything about dying out on the bike, but it would be much less traumatic for everyone else if one died at home in bed. I want to die AFTER a forum ride, not DURING one!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Note number 2 in the list

Ways to reduce CAD risk include eating a healthy diet, regularly exercising, maintaining a healthy weight, and not smoking

28C84A11-B79A-4DF7-BBCD-31EAA1966871.jpeg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like the scientific evidence∆∆∆∆ suggests cycling is dangerous for your health!!

Erm, everyone at works thinks it is, seeing the injuries I get ! Wouldn't have it any other way. I'll be tipped into my coffin in bits. One can't live wrapped up in cotton wool. Where is the fun in that ?

Last edited:
That is pretty much what happened to Beryl Burton.

I was thinking about Burton's death when I posted above... From a selfish point of view, if it were that quick then one wouldn't know anything about dying out on the bike, but it would be much less traumatic for everyone else if one died at home in bed. I want to die AFTER a forum ride, not DURING one!

<sorry, this will get a bit morbid and negative ... >
Dying in your bed possibly creates more upset, in that kind of situation. Someone still has to find the body. Figure out when to go check on you. Then worry for a bit ... etc ...
Lost a young relative - who lived on her own - like this. I honestly would rather she had just keeled over in front of us, would have got it over with better. Anyway, that's enough of that sort of thing!

All uphill

Still rolling along
<sorry, this will get a bit morbid and negative ... >
Dying in your bed possibly creates more upset, in that kind of situation. Someone still has to find the body. Figure out when to go check on you. Then worry for a bit ... etc ...
Lost a young relative - who lived on her own - like this. I honestly would rather she had just keeled over in front of us, would have got it over with better. Anyway, that's enough of that sort of thing!

Im sorry to hear about the death of your young relative. I understand that it was shocking and tragic.

Our society often pretends that death does not happen. I know people in their fifties who have never had a loved one die, and never seen a body.

When someone does die we avoid the words and use euphemisms like 'pass' 'gone to heaven'.

So when we encounter the reality of death it can be a huge shock. Meanwhile we expect medics, police officers and undertakers to take on the burden on our behalf.

Fastpedaller

I have seen a dead relative days after the event, but not seen someone take their last breath, which must be a difficult time.
My Daughter, as a young trainee in the NHS is made of stern stuff, and during early training saw an autopsy - some around her were fainting or leaving the room but I think the majority stayed. That's one step too far for me (and maybe most of us?)

Ajax Bay

Guru
There was a much healthier western view of death when it was more prevalent and infant mortality was still high. Countries where they have days of the dead likely have a better relationship.
Is there decent published research which supports that assertion - give links please? ;)
PS I agree with the thrust of your early comments in this thread, and to an extent applaud the tenacity. Keep pedalling supine and get that qualification in good time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
@gzoom - can I just check (per thread title) "Is cycling bad for the heart?" Still not clear what you believe (after 6 pages). Bonus question: Is cycling good for the heart?

Just happened to pick up the most recent bike purchase from the shop after some warranty work.....what I believe is I enjoy any form of transportation as long as its powered by an electric motor.

52782537932_d49c2e2823_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom