Is cycling bad for the heart??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
If you're riding an e-bike I don't understand why you're concerned by heart issues. Why raise the topic?

I didn't realise so many forum members on here don't understand the appeal of 'free speech' isn't it a core part of the PREVENT legal legislation:smile:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I didn't realise so many forum members on here don't understand the appeal of 'free speech' isn't it a core part of the PREVENT legal legislation:smile:.

Stop worrying, you are far more likely to get hit by a car, or those pesky tree stumps that jump out on trails. If you are doing it right, your body will be well worn out by the time AF is an issue !

Ajax Bay

Guru
I applaud free speech. And just because, as a medical person, @gzoom references a GCN video, doesn't mean they agrees with the clickbait title (but it'd be interesting to know especially after one might infer that they thinks that). @PaulSB please don't stereotype what e-bike riders shouldn't be concerned about: you don't know how young they is and what challenges they face.
isn't it a core part of the PREVENT legal legislation
Link please - maybe 'Online Safety Bill' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57569336

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I applaud free speech. And just because, as a medical person, @gzoom references a GCN video, doesn't mean they agrees with the clickbait title (but it'd be interesting to know especially after one might infer that they thinks that). @PaulSB please don't stereotype what e-bike riders shouldn't be concerned about: you don't know how young they is and what challenges they face.

I wouldn't stereotype anyone. I'm very much in favour of e-bikes and the key benefits they offer to people; fresh air, an opportunity to explore areas that might otherwise be difficult to access and get out of the car.

I've ridden with e-bikers and regularly ride with a friend who uses an e-MTB when he's on that type of ride. I've some practical experience which suggests e-biking would have little or any impact on the heart. I've one friend who bought an e-bike to aid his recovery and return to cycling after serious heart issues.

To my mind the poster implies there are potential heart issues for cyclists, something I would disagree with. I'm simply interested to know why he's concerned by this, though I don't expect a straight answer.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
PREVENT is counter terrorism legislation.

Ah, I see. Nothing to do with cycling then.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Ajax Bay

Guru
the [OP] implies there are potential heart issues for cyclists, something I would disagree with.
I suggest that there are potential heart issues for cyclists, indeed for everyone. The schwerpunkt is whether those are issues of any concerning magnitude, whether there's a differential between the great unwashed and cyclists (and within that sub-sets of cyclists) and whether any change in cycling behaviour (in this context) might or should be considered. Like @fossyant , the OP and you, I suspect, I'll aim to mitigate as many of the key risks cyclists face (to ALARP), which are . . . . . off topic.

tyred

Legendary Member
<sorry, this will get a bit morbid and negative ... >
Dying in your bed possibly creates more upset, in that kind of situation. Someone still has to find the body. Figure out when to go check on you. Then worry for a bit ... etc ...
Lost a young relative - who lived on her own - like this. I honestly would rather she had just keeled over in front of us, would have got it over with better. Anyway, that's enough of that sort of thing!

An elderly great-aunt lived in a cottage in our farmyard when I was growing up. In her 80s but sprightly. She was always up early.

One morning there was no sign of life and the curtains were still pulled. Come the evening with still no sign of life, my Dad broke in and met her coming down the stairs. She had taken an extra sleeping pill by mistake the night before and had just woken up!

Top Bottom