Is cycling bad for the heart??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
The only absolute certain way of living a long life is to have a lot of birthdays. Go out and buy cake and candles, you’ll be fine.

Jameshow

Veteran
The only absolute certain way of living a long life is to have a lot of birthdays. Go out and buy cake and candles, you’ll be fine.

But buying cake isn't healthy... Nor are candles esp tobacco ones..

And worse still exaggerating you age is fraud and can get you into serious trouble especially at off licenses but I doubt that applies to any on here!🤣🤣

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
OK - so from the risk of death graph you shared and the data therein, please could you help us with an example of a "real decision" one might make "based on" an understanding of those data.

Very very curdly, age is one of many factors considered when making decisions regarding ITU admission or escalation on life prolonging therapy. Bare in mind all resources are finite, death comes to us all, but every life is precious. Without something of objectively, decision making in some life/death situtaions becomes almost impossible.

Science exists for a reason, to put objectively into subjectivity, without data to guide risk and decision making, you are essentially left with guesswork work. That's OK when stakes of getting it wrong is low, but in my job guessing is not an option.

Pretty much my entire job is based on data guided decision making, risk mitigation, and ultimately trying to not let human bias influence decision making.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
If there is science showing that cycling/exercise more than a certain quantity or intensity is 'bad for your heart' then please share. That would be 'data that helps everyone to understand risk [and allow] real [informed] decisions'.

.....and that is the entire point of the post. Science comes from research and human curiosity about the unknown.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
.....and that is the entire point of the post. Science comes from research and human curiosity about the unknown.

But as this is an internet forum it's often faced with the unbeatable forces of what people reckon and repetition of there of.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
But as this is an internet forum it's often faced with the unbeatable forces of what people reckon and repetition of there of.

Luckily in the real world - versus the very odd social construct that is the internet/web based communities, real life decision making for most things that are important are based on data and assessment of that data. Our former PM demonstrated quite nicely what happens if important decision making is done without data, and instead based on personal opinion.

Jameshow

Veteran
Luckily in the real world - versus the very odd social construct that is the internet/web based communities, real life decision making for most things that are important are based on data and assessment of that data. Our former PM demonstrated quite nicely what happens if important decision making is done without data, and instead based on personal opinion.

Which one?!!

Fastpedaller

If you disagree with my post, you must be reading the graph in a different way to me (and I'm pretty sure MY way is right!).
But unless one of us is under 4 years old, I don't think it matters enough to have An Argument On The Internet about ...

Not arguing..... just discussing like adults:laugh: For someone under 1 yr (who I grant you is unlikely to read or understand the graph) the risk is higher. This has been known for many years of course - our most vulnerable are the very young and elderly.

Not arguing..... just discussing like adults:laugh: For someone under 1 yr (who I grant you is unlikely to read or understand the graph) the risk is higher. This has been known for many years of course - our most vulnerable are the very young and elderly.

AGREED!!!! :cheers:

(that's what I was saying - the older children are actually at LOWER risk than the 10 month old. This is in contrast to this person's post: https://www.cyclechat.net/goto/post?id=6948429 )

Ajax Bay

Guru

PROOF: Cyclists Live Longer...But Why? | The GCN Show Ep. 534

View: https://youtu.be/l47ZnWEUTcM?t=174

As Paul suggests: enjoy; but remember "in the real world - versus the very odd social construct that is the internet/web based communities, real life decision making for most things that are important are based on data and assessment of that data."
Tricep dips, ftw.

iandg

Legendary Member
Haven't read through the whole thread (and don't know if it's been mentioned) - there is a book for those who are interested - The Haywire Heart "How too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart" by Chris Case, John Mandrola and Lennard Zinn.

IMO the important words are "too much exercise"

Top Bottom