Is cycling bad for the heart??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I think GCN have put this one to bed

BMJ

GCN

Indeed from

“Participants 263 450 participants (106 674 (52%) women; mean age 52.6), recruited from 22 sites across the UK.”

They conclude

Conclusions Cycle commuting was associated with a lower risk of CVD, cancer, and all cause mortality.

In summary: active travel / cycling is good for the heart. Unlike OPs clickbait title and video because they do not have time to read such scientific papers as you linked.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The BMJ paper is about commuting cyclists as opposed to general cyclists.
And, as I understand it @gzoom please confirm, the GCN video shared in OP looks at whether too much (define) cycling is bad for your heart - commuting (exclude outliers) is not too much obv) and reveals that scientists are 'looking at it'.
Here's one of the references in that BMJ paper (#26).
Physical activity during leisure time and primary prevention of coronary heart disease: an updated meta-analysis of cohort studies
Plenty of evidence has shown the preventive role of physical activity in cardiovascular disease. Study's meta-analysis reports significant protection against the occurrence of CHD resulting from moderate-to-high levels of physical activity. These results strengthen the recommendations of guidelines that indicate the protective effect against cardiovascular disease of physical activity profiles that are attainable by ordinary people.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
And, as I understand it @gzoom please confirm, the GCN video shared in OP looks at whether too much (define) cycling is bad for your heart - commuting (exclude outliers) is not too much obv) and reveals that scientists are 'looking at it'.
Physical activity during leisure time and primary prevention of coronary heart disease: an updated meta-analysis of cohort studies
Plenty of evidence has shown the preventive role of physical activity in cardiovascular disease. Study's meta-analysis reports significant protection against the occurrence of CHD resulting from moderate-to-high levels of physical activity. These results strengthen the recommendations of guidelines that indicate the protective effect against cardiovascular disease of physical activity profiles that are attainable by ordinary people.

The question in the title of this thread is “Is cycling bad for the heart??” (sic). It does not distinguish between different type of cycling, and thus seeks to apply a broad brush stroke across all types in its coverage.

Jameshow

Veteran
The question in the title of this thread is “Is cycling bad for the heart??” (sic). It does not distinguish between different type of cycling, and thus seeks to apply a broad brush stroke across all types in its coverage.

Cycling along a canal whist imbibing white lightening* and drawing on wrap of weed* probably isn't good for the heart one way or another!!

*Other brands and strengths available!

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member

There is pretty much no point with ever disagreeing with someone who is always right about everything:smile:.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There is pretty much no point with ever disagreeing with someone who is always right about everything:smile:.

Believe it or not when you commute by bike it’s still cycling. All these couple hundred thousand cycled and it was good for their heart, and all cause mortality. Who knew! Well if you ever had time to read completed research papers you would.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Believe it or not when you commute by bike it’s still cycling. All these couple hundred thousand cycled and it was good for their heart, and all cause mortality. Who knew! Well if you ever had time to read completed research papers you would.

It's shoot this commute. Mine avoids all the roads where every driver sits breathing in fumes (including EV), and it's faster. Fortunately, not much is on road, about 30% (all quiet ones). :laugh:

Huffing and puffing a bit on toay's ride from our tin box on the coast. Thought I was a bit Wheezy. Set a number of decent paced sections on strava, so I wasn't dropping dead like I thought ! 600ft of climb in 3 miles from the start is not fun at all, especially on a 39 x 26.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's shoot this commute. Mine avoids all the roads where every driver sits breathing in fumes (including EV), and it's faster. Fortunately, not much is on road, about 30% (all quiet ones). :laugh:

Huffing and puffing a bit on toay's ride from our tin box on the coast. Thought I was a bit Wheezy. Set a number of decent paced sections on strava, so I wasn't dropping dead like I thought ! 600ft of climb in 3 miles from the start is not fun at all, especially on a 39 x 26.

Get yourself a compact!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Do you have anything else to say?

Problem is, they’ve been asked several times to present their evidence. But each time, they have refused to present anything (other than a video),and are too busy to look at the actual scientific research outputs, and now it’s resorted to “You are always right”, rather than countering with published scientific evidence.

Their approach has been a bit like

View: https://youtu.be/ohDB5gbtaEQ

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Do you have anything else to say? If not, could you and Ming just get a room, this particular tiff is boring the crap out of most of us ...

I have no tiff, as I've said some forum members here literally know it all :smile:.

Top Bottom