chicken and egg situation...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Guy in our office is getting an eggloo (henhouse for the back garden). I asked him:

- if the eggs weren't harvested and were kept incubated they'd turn into chicks, right?
- No, you numpty! Don't you know about the birds and the bees, maz?
- Yeah course I do, but i thought the rumpy-pumpy took place before the egg was laid! :rolleyes:

A few others in the office thought the same way as me.
Mind you, he's from Norwich. Not like us city types.

Own up, who else thought this?

(only me then...:biggrin:)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
Guy in our office is getting an eggloo (henhouse for the back garden). I asked him:

- if the eggs weren't harvested and were kept incubated they'd turn into chicks, right?
- No, you numpty! Don't you know about the birds and the bees, maz?
- Yeah course I do, but i thought the rumpy-pumpy took place before the egg was laid! :rolleyes:

A few others in the office thought the same way as me.
Mind you, he's from Norwich. Not like us city types.

Own up, who else thought this?

(only me then...:biggrin:)

I knew hens could produce sterile eggs. I only discovered a while back that this is because they ovulate every day, cock or no cock and the resultant ovum will always form an egg. So for an egg to have a chick in it, yes, they hen and cock have to get it together before the egg is laid, but it will be laid anyway, whether they do or not...

U

User482

Hybrid hens like those that come with the eglu produce up to 300 eggs a year, whereas pure breeds produce about 200. The jungle fowl they originate from only produce about 20 eggs a year, so it just goes to show what an effect centuries of selective breeding have had. The downside is that domesticated hens have a much shorter lifespan than jungle fowl.

p.s. Maz don't worry, plenty of people have asked the same question about my hens!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
rich p said:
Blimey imagine if women had babies everyday. What a horrible thought.:rolleyes:
You mean a period every day, right? That's how women get rid of their unfertilised eggs.

Perish the thought!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
You mean a period every day, right? That's how women get rid of their unfertilised eggs.

Perish the thought!

Well sort of, yes. Only where we ladies have stomach cramps and blood, hens have an egg. I think I might put up with things the way they are rather than lay an egg every day...
:smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Maz said:

Perish the thought!

I wish I hadn't started this train of thought nowxx(

EmGee DK

Been there and done that mate... unfortunately I was the only unaware of the erotic life of hens... I still cant say anything egg-related at work without people giggling .... :smile: stupid hens!

walker

Maz said:

Perish the thought!

I remember telling someone they was eating chicken periods for breakfast, they nearly threw up, it was so funny at the time

I even think he had a hangover too

Arch said:
I think I might put up with things the way they are rather than lay an egg every day...:biggrin:

And I thought dropping a log every day was bad enough! :ohmy: :smile:

Making an omelette once, I cracked an egg, and inside was a chick's foetus! :biggrin:
And in Cambodia, it's a delicacy to eat duck foetuses (sp?); needless to say I declined the offer!

great crested grebes look the same, no matter the sex. this can lead to confusion and might explain the elaborate courting and greeting ritual (i've been watching them waggle heads most of the afternoon)

... however this doesn't explain why the female sometimes mounts the male!

Top Bottom